Vostro 1500 and Windows 7 x64

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Vostro 1500 and Windows 7 x64

This question is not answered

When I originally bought my laptop Vostro 1500 I had XP 32 bit installed on it. However my processor supports 64 bit OS and when windows 7 came out I bought Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and installed it. Installation went fine and everything works great. However the problem I am having is - now that I would like to update my drivers, I do not know how to proceed. When I had XP, I used to use resource CD, however now that I have W7 and when I go online , insert my device tag - then from drop down menu from drivers page - there is no Windows 7 option, infact there isnt even Windows Vista (neither 32 bit or 64 bit ) option to choose from? I actually had to go to Nvidia home site to get graphics card update, and I am sure I could get other drivers. however - I am not aware what all drivers I do need to install to make my laptop up to date.

When I went to Windows 7 Compitability page on Dell site, it didnt have Vostro 1500 ( it did have vostro 1510 and vostro 1520 ), suggesting Vostro 1500 is not compatible with W7? Well ive installed ultimate and it works perfect.

So how do I get access to Windows 7 x64  drivers that would work on my Vostro 1500.

Or if the vostro 1500 is not supported does it mean I have to get drivers from the hardware makers own site?

Any help would be apprishiated, thank you

All Replies
  • JTGizmo,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forums.  The Vostro 1500 is not on the Dell Windows 7 compatibility page, which means it probably wasn't specifically validated for Windows 7 by our engineers, and Dell Windows 7 drivers for the system may be slow in coming.  If you are able to connect to the Internet, my first suggestion would be to check online for any driver updates you need, either by running a Windows Update (which will usually find any updated drivers for your system), or by choosing to upgrade a specific driver and selecting the option to check online for driver updates.  If you still have unresolved driver issues after trying those steps, please post the drivers you're having problems with here.

• Hi Thank You for the quick reply, what worries me the most is how do I know which drivers need to be updated, back with XP and resource CD i just installed all the latest drivers from the list or from the site.  I had especially problems with my soundcard as there is no website for Sigmatel audio drivers and Id like to download them and get them working on my windows 7 ultimate x64 . Could you please advice how do I go about that?

• JTGizmo,

Are there any devices with yellow exclamation points next to them in Device Manager?  That is where I would start.  If not, I would definitely suggest that you go to the Windows Update site, let it scan your system, and install whatever driver updates it recommends.  As for the audio controller, you may want to check the Microsoft Update Catalog here.  Some customers have had success installing the driver labeled "SigmaTel - Audio - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" for Windows 7 from that site. 

• Hi Chris,

Yes there is one under : Other Devices -> Base System Device. I have no idea what device it is or what drivers that needs, rest are fine. I did w7 update run update some of the drivers, like my wireless, but I dont know if my bluetooth has been updated and such. I will try that link you provided, thank you.

• I went to the site and found 2 drivers, I downloaded them all as I do not know which one to choose, also when I went into the folders - it didnt have a setup file, just bunch of files. how do I install the drivers ( that is once I know which is the right one )

SigmaTel - Audio - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Windows 7 Client,Windows Vista Drivers (Other Hardware) 2/15/2008 6.10.5866.0 2.7 MB 2870770
    SigmaTel - Audio - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Windows 7 Client,Windows Vista Drivers (Other Hardware) 2/15/2008 6.10.5866.0 3.0 MB 3119483
    SigmaTel - Audio - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (for 64-bit Windows) Windows 7 Client,Windows Vista Drivers (Other Hardware) 5/6/2007 6.10.5511.0 1.0 MB 1051014
  • JTGizmo,

Since you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, I would try the third driver in that list first.

• Hi Chris,

I have downloaded the 64 bit audio codec, when I go to the folder it contains bunch of files, but none of them is executable or setup file, if i double click any of them it just gives me an option to extract them. what do I do, how do I install those drivers?

• JTGizmo,

I'm unable to download that codec myself, but I would suggest finding the listing for the audio controller in Device Manager, updating the driver, and pointing the driver update wizard to the location where you saved the downloaded files.

• Base System Device in question is most likely "Ricoh Memory Stick Controller" Search for a 64 bit driver version of this.

• Thank you,

I have ran into another problem in finding the drivers. This time its my touchpad, the scrolling features at the bottom and right hand corner are not working and I am trying to find the touchpad driver, but there is none I can find that would work for x64 OS Windows 7. could you please advice what driver could i install (even if it is for vista) to make my touchpad working?

Jaan

• Synaptic Pointer Device. Try looking for it for Windows 7. If not, look for Vista x64 drivers, most Vista drivers are compatible with Windows 7