Re: Windows 7 Upgrade program website.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade program website.

This question is not answered

I'm curious as to what is going on with the Dell Windows 7 upgrade program, and if there is actually a functional system in place or if it is all just random. I was one of the earliest to register for the upgrade when it became available, and certainly very early to formalise my order by paying my £15 shipping and handling fees on the 23rd October 2009 (despite not getting an email to prompt me to checkout as we were told we'd get, I used my common sense and just logged on to find it in my cart waiting for payment), and yet I was given an initial estimated ship date of 11/15/2009. Then it suddenly jumped to 10/31/2009 for a few days, which I thought was great until that date passed by with no more updates or emails telling me it had shipped. Then, the day before yesterday, my estimated ship date disappeared altogether, but the status then shown as 'Ordered'. I thought this might have meant they were preparing to dispatch, yet I log on again just now and the ship date is back to the original 11/15/2009. I don't know what is going on now. According to a thread on another forum they're telling people on the phone that they're working a first come first served basis....which can't be true as other UK customers who registered AND ordered *after* me have already had theirs arrive. Also, some people have been getting theirs in the mail even before the estimated ship date, while being given no 'shipped' email or tracking info...as they were told they'd get.

Mine is only Windows 7 32bit Premium, not like it is one of the rarer species. I also had a Vista problem recently that really requires a clean install, but I don't want to have to do that only to install Windows 7 when it comes....so I am quite desperate. If anyone from Dell is reading this, I'd certainly appreciate some assistance in getting my upgrade, or just getting to know where I stand, as clearly the website is not working as intended. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this. Thanks.

All Replies
  • You're not alone. Mine was shown as shipping today - until today. When I logged on this morning to see if it had shipped the date had moved to 18 November. Frustrating or what?

• Yes. it is very frustrating indeed. Especially so as those of us in the UK have had to pay for the privilege of getting our "free" upgrade, while other territories have gotten theirs completely free of charge. I wouldn't mind so much if I had have been given an estimated shipping date they could *roughly* stick to, but it has changed drastically. Let alone the fact that those of us who have been to the site to pay for/formalise our orders have done so only through our own efforts....when it clearly states in the FAQ that we should have been emailed and reminded to perform checkout. I reckon there are many people still sat waiting for an email, as instructed, who have not yet even paid for/formalised their orders - god knows when their shipping dates will be. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them get theirs before you and I, as there is just no structure to all this. It looks completely random.Makes me wonder if Dell are 'accidentally' failing to inform people, in the hope that demand is less.

If it carries on like this much longer, I will make sure a good few review sites get to know about it. I think it only fair to warn prospective Dell customers of such things. I wish someone had warned me (this is my first Dell. Actually, my first pre-built OEM system).

• Frustration level increases each day when the estimated shipping date changes!

I ordered on October 22nd and was hoping to be first on Win7 in our office (we develop web applications) but my colleague got his upgrade DVDs from Sony a week ago.

Ho hum, keep on being patient I suppose.

• Ill join the crowd - estimated ship date recently went from 11/9 (already too long) to 11/27.  Urgh!

Contacted win7upgrade help 4 days ago to request expedited shipping (I'll pay for it!).  Took them 2 days to send a reply that I should use the standard "contact support" form instead of the one on the win7upgrade page.  Another 2 days later, still no reply from dell support.

• I am having the same experience. My ship date went from 11/7 to 11/20. I don't know what Dells problem here is! I sent them an email on this and got the same standard reply form. I guess Dell just doesn't really care all that much about their customers.

• From another thread:

DELL-Jesse L

PRT940,

I will be trying to get more information on what the problem is with the ship dates changing so often in my meetin today, I will post back when I find out.

He has not returned with more info yet, but I suggest monitoring that thread instead of this one.

Edit: I know it is hard to see that there is a hyperlink above the quote, so here is the link

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19301060.aspx

• slitheen,

Here is the latest information on why the ship dates keep changing.

The ship dates are "Estimated" ship dates. These dates can and will change according to the suppliers inventory. They got behind and are working hard to catch up. You will receive a confirmation email with tracking information once the kit ships.

#iwork4Dell

• DELL-Jesse L

slitheen,

Here is the latest information on why the ship dates keep changing.

The ship dates are "Estimated" ship dates. These dates can and will change according to the suppliers inventory. They got behind and are working hard to catch up. You will receive a confirmation email with tracking information once the kit ships.

I appreciate your looking into it, but I'm afraid I'll have to be sceptical of anything coming out of that particular department. The way they have run this has been nothing short of shoddy. I simply can't put faith in my latest estimated date as the first one was *WAY* off (10/31/2009 became 11/15/2009 overnight).

I genuinely thank you for trying though.