Just a warning: better upgrade to Windows 7 through Dell or you'll void your warranty.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Just a warning: better upgrade to Windows 7 through Dell or you'll void your warranty.

This question is not answered

I just bought Windows 7 (pre-ordered not through Dell ar $49.99 for home premium) and installed it.  Piece of cake and so far I love Windows 7 and I highly recommend it. 

However, I just discovered that I've voided my support warranty unless I return to Vista -- since this is not its "original configuration."  I'd rather not return to Vista, nor am I inclined to spend way more money for buying the same software from Dell.  So this is my warning to make sure other people aren't stuck in the same boat.

All Replies
  • I bought it for $49 also thru Amazon and installed it last weekend. Was told I voided the warranty unless I reinstalled Vista. However, I spoke to another person who told me that all the hardware is still under warranty but they would not help me with any Windows 7 related problems. I kept the script of that conversation and will forward it to you if you wish.

• The warranty covers the hardware, not the software. You did not lose anything. The software is only covered for the first 21 days or so. In the Windows ME and XP days, you might have had to reinstall the original OS to troubleshoot, but not nowadays. Dell will help you troubleshoot any hardware problems while you are under warranty, no matter what operating system you have.

• Hi, Your hardware is still covered by your warranty, you only get 21 days software warranty anyway.. However, if a problem does come up, dell support can ask you to reinstall your Vista to get support. But, if your hard drive was to fail, or your mobo was to fail, then dell will replace those parts and others.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.