PC restore: Manual Reinstallation vs. Dell's Restore to Factory Image

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

PC restore: Manual Reinstallation vs. Dell's Restore to Factory Image

This question is not answered

Hi,

First off, I am using a Dell Inspiron 1520.  It is only 2 years old.

So I've been having a problem with my cpu usage always being at 100%.  The problem started five days ago as I was using my computer to do normal everyday work.  This has caused my computer to run incredibly slow in all aspects.  After doing a lot of research on this issue I found no sure cause or answer to my problem and thus decided to do a complete system restore.

What I have done thus far is restored my laptop to it's original factory image using Dell's hidden partition.  However, after successfully completing this task., my cpu usage was still at 100% and setting up my pc's operating system took about 30 minutes (you can imagine the irony as I watched Windows flash me images advertising how Vista is so fast, secure, and non-time-consuming...).  About an hour later, the usage somehow returned to a reasonable state and my computer doesn't run as slow as it did.  I am still a little skeptical about the effectiveness of this factory image restoration. 

Would a manual reinstallation of everything (OS, drivers, apps, etc.) using my system cd's be a better idea?  Will my computer's speed ever return to it's out-of-the-box condition?  Is it really the CPU that's causing all of this problem or could it be something else?  Thanks for the help.

All Replies