backup dell recovery partition?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

backup dell recovery partition?

This question is not answered

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum, but what's the best way to backup the dell recovery partition? 

I'd like to use it for a win7 install, but since the rc expires in a year, I might want to recover the recovery partition, get it?

What should I use?  Will Clonezilla work?  Is there anything funny about this partiiton I should know about? 

I heard the OS partiion must remain the same size for a factory restore, is there anything else?

Thanks!

All Replies
  • You cannot back up the Recovery Partition. It is an image of the original install and cannot be reinstalled using backup. Dell recommends that you use a program like Acronis to make an image of your whole hard drive and save on an external drive. If you are installing Win 7 and want to return to Vista instead of buying Win 7 (I predict you won't) you can use the image file or reinstall from the vista disk. Win 7 will expire in a year, but it will start shutting down every 2 hours starting March 1, 2010. A better idea is to add a second hard drive, if possible, and install Win 7 rc on that for a dual boot.

MS says this: "The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours"  More info HERE.

• Mary G, thanks for the reply.  I know about the details of the RC.  I suspect you're right I won't be paying for it upon expiry. 

I don't want to backup the entire drive.  I was thinking of creating an image of the recovery partition as is.  I'd like to try creating a new 10gb partition to install the win7rc.  Then when I'm done with the win7rc, wipe that partition out and restore the original recovery partition. 

Just wondering  what the best tool to use is.  Something that would support creating the image on a dvd and maybe even automating the process would be nice.