Retrieving Windows Product Key

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Retrieving Windows Product Key

This question is not answered

I recently had my computer serviced by a Dell technician who replaced the bottom chassis of my laptop (Inspiron 600m). When he did this he replaced my service tag onto the new chassis but not the Windows XP Home Edition Product Key sticker. My hard drive suffered a boot failure that prevented me from using the PC restore function and I was forced to reformat the drive entirely. I am now trying to reinstall Windows XP Home and have been prompted to enter my Product Key. Obviousy I don't have it. Is there any way to retrieve the key based on my service tag or from the BIOS?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

All Replies
  • pincheeric,

Since you reformatted the computer, the service tag number is in the Bios, press F2 when you see the Dell screen and wirte the number down.

If you use the OEM Disk Dell provided, no product key is needed as the Windows Product key is in the motherboard. If you cannot do this, then you'll need to contatc Dell.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!