Studio 1537 Vista Reformat

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Studio 1537 Vista Reformat

This question is not answered

Hello all,

I want to do a clean install of Vista home premium, to eliminate unwanted programs etc...not sure of the process, installing the correct drivers, I have the discs that came with the laptop, is that enough? can't find a clear guide on the net, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Any help appreciated..

Cheers.

All Replies
  • Since you have the drives disk this will help a lot.

Reinstall the OS then follow the instrruction HERE on the proper order to reload the drivers.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Welcome to the forums Yes

Do you have a 'Recovery' partition?  Restoring it to factory defaults is a LOT quicker/easier than reformatting, and reinstalling everything from scratch Idea

You'll have to update the drivers etc thereafter of course, but 'Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings' is the way to go!

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• Thanks for the swift response will attempt it tomorrow, hopefully it goes well. Am I able to to check if I have all the drivers on the supplied discs? (3 of them, 1 for drivers and utilities, 1 for webcam and 1 for Media Direct) and If I don't can I download the correct ones after the reinstall of the OS? thanks again, apologies but first Laptop and I know next to nothing about computers.

• Clean install complete, everything seems to be fine except for exclamation marks next to the ethernet controller, sm bus controller and unknown device, anyone with any ideas if I actually need these things? if so, where can I get them from?

Thanks for any help.