How do I enlarge my user account thumbnail?!

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

How do I enlarge my user account thumbnail?!

This question is not answered

This may sound like a really stupid question but in Windows Vista Home Basic how in the world do I enlarge the tiny thumnail picture of my user account when it pops up on the welcome screen, etc.?  Can I even do this?  I have tried everything I can think of and searched the Windows Help/Support option extensively yet still can't manage to find a way to get that little box any bigger.  The tiny size of it is driving me crazy and I just can't manage to figure out a way to enlarge it like you can any of the icons on the desktop.  Please help!

All Replies
  • Welcome to the forums Yes

I don't think it is possible to enlarge the default thumbnail images

And the only way I can think of which *might* allow you to use a larger one, would be to select an image from pictures/photos stored on your computer?

You can use most any image - albeit one not exceeding 128 x 128 pixels in size.

I've just found this via Google:  How to Change a User Account Logon Display Picture in Vista (scroll down the page to find the actual 'how to') Idea

"You can select to use any BMP, DIB, RLE, GIF, JPG, or PNG image file for the display picture.
    The image can only be up to 128 x 128 pixels in size to prevent it from being automatically cropped to fit the user display box.
    If it is bigger than this, just resize it - otherwise, your image may be cut off or not centered properly

Tip:

Accounts                                  Default Picture Location

All - Picture Folder                 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    Standard - Administrator       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp
    Guest                                     C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\guest.bmp"

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)