Factory Image Restore failed, Format HDD failed, OS re-install failed... What to try next?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Factory Image Restore failed, Format HDD failed, OS re-install failed... What to try next?

This question is not answered

We started having trouble with Windows applications and Internet Explorer behaving badly (When you try to open the browser it would flash open tand then close. Tried Factory Image restore and part way through the restore an ERROR window came up with no explanation and only an OK button and a big red X. hitting the OK button kicks you out of the Image Restore. There is no System Restore point set so that is out. There is no Back up restore. I just want to wipe out everything and start over, but from a command prompt window I cant even Format the C Drive because it says another program is trying to use the drive. I'm completely out of ideas and unwilling to pay $50.00 for a stupid silly answer that I know some tech guy is going to tell me. Does anyone out there have any ideas? I know I should know how to do this but Im drawing blanks and hitting roadblocks.

All Replies
  • To do a reinstall just pop in your Dell recovery disk and point the system to boot from the DVD/CD drive. Best and easiest way is to press the F12 key at the big Dell splash screen and select the onboard cd drive.

you cannot format the drive from a dos prompt unless you were to boot the system from a bootable floppy.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Thanks Davet50, but I already tried that and the re-installation of The OS failed. Any other ideas?

• dpotter41

Thanks Davet50, but I already tried that and the re-installation of The OS failed. Any other ideas?

I ran into this once, and since then I do this everytime I redo my HD just to take care of any problems that might happen.

Get you a Copy of a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu, If you can it's quicker to dwnld the iso and burn it yourself.

Boot the CD Live, go into administration, Select GParted, Delete "ALL" Partitions, Format to NTFS, Reinsert your Windows Disk, Select your partition, And allow Windows to do a "FULL" Format......   This should solve your problem.....

Wither they tell you or not it's true if all you do is a Quick Format it doesn't erase everything from your HD, and if there's anything left on there that can mess you up it will.  Only a Full Format will fix this problem. I believe...

Hope this Helps...   Geeked

I "NEVER" Discuss three things.

Religion, Politics, -n- The Great Pumpkin.

Linus from A Charlie Brown Christmas   Angel

• I d/l'd the Linux Ultimate Edition 2.0 Gamers ISO and burned the DVD and booted it up .. went to Administration and GParted and I see 4 partitions

dev/sda1 fat16 70.57 MB

dev/sda2 ntfs 10 GB Recovery

dev/sda3 ntfs 61.96 GB OS

dev/sda4 extended 2.5 GB

under that and indented is :

unallocated 1 MB

/dev/sda5 fat32 mediadirect 2.5 GB

Problem: The option to delete the partitions (except the FAT 16 and FAT 32) is greyed out.  Im pretty lost never having used Linux in my life. Is there something I should know at this point? I will mention this.. when I went to Format the Drive from a DOS window before all this, I could not do it but as I suspected someone said that you cant do that since the drive is in use by the OS or something to that effect.

• dpotter41

I d/l'd the Linux Ultimate Edition 2.0 Gamers ISO and burned the DVD and booted it up .. went to Administration and GParted and I see 4 partitions

dev/sda1 fat16 70.57 MB

dev/sda2 ntfs 10 GB Recovery

dev/sda3 ntfs 61.96 GB OS

dev/sda4 extended 2.5 GB

under that and indented is :

unallocated 1 MB

/dev/sda5 fat32 mediadirect 2.5 GB

Problem: The option to delete the partitions (except the FAT 16 and FAT 32) is greyed out.  Im pretty lost never having used Linux in my life. Is there something I should know at this point? I will mention this.. when I went to Format the Drive from a DOS window before all this, I could not do it but as I suspected someone said that you cant do that since the drive is in use by the OS or something to that effect.

On the partitions that are grayed out and won't let you Format, are the ones that are mounted as primary partitions.

Right Click on them and you should see a Delete Option, Click on Delete and apply.

Now if you are trying to run them from inside Windows it won't allow you to do this because they are Mounted Partitions.

I'm in Ubuntu Linux right now I Dual Boot Ubuntu with Vista and I checked and I could delete and Format Windows, but can't Ubuntu because it is mounted.

BUT now if I'd run the CD/DVD Live, This is where you select your CD/DVD Rom Drive to boot with your Linux  Disk in your Rom Drive, it will Load and run the Linux OS from that Rom Drive not Mounting the Hard Drive from there you should be able to Delete everything on your Hard Drive and then Format.

NOTE: I found this out the Hardway, after you Delete your Partitions hit Applly and then go back and Format it, if you try to do it all at once in my experence it'll just lock everything up.

I HOPE THIS HELPS<<<<< GOOD LUCK >>>>>>>>   Smile

• Each of the mounted drives (ntfs ones) have keys (like door keys) beside them... makes me wonder if they are locked. When I right click on them the option to delete them is still grayed out and so is the apply option. 

I booted Linux from the DVD drive so Im pretty sure Windows isnt running (it wont load anyway). Could it be the partitions are password protected and I need a password (whick I dont have) to unlock them?

• dpotter41

Each of the mounted drives (ntfs ones) have keys (like door keys) beside them... makes me wonder if they are locked. When I right click on them the option to delete them is still grayed out and so is the apply option. 

I booted Linux from the DVD drive so Im pretty sure Windows isnt running (it wont load anyway). Could it be the partitions are password protected and I need a password (whick I dont have) to unlock them?

When I checked my drive while running Ubuntu it only showed the Keys as you said next to my Ubuntu Partition and the Swap Partition that Ubuntu uses for extra memory space if needed.

My Windows Partitions were wide open...

I've redone 2- Dell Lappys Duall Booting Windows XP n Vista with Linux so this makes no since.

I wouldn't know why they would password protect them?

Try dwnld Ubuntu and use their GParted, While running it Live, it sounds to me like your iso burn might have a fluke somewhere in it.

It's a 699mb dwnld, Try this and if this don't work I'd say get a hold of Tech Support and see whats going on.

Wait a minute go back into Cmos and check to see if your Hard Drive or any part of your Mainboard might have password protection on it.

This might explain it, I just remembered seeing this in my Inspiron 1721's Cmos, It wasn't set but it's somewhere else to look, as I said I don't know why they would set that up at the factory?

That's enabled by the owner or at least it should be.

If you need to try Ubuntu the link is www.ubuntulinux.com    >>>>ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK<<<<  Hmm

• I don't know whether you've hosed things beyond repair yet, but have you tried something like Ccleaner to fix the registry? I have been amazed at how good a product it is, and it has fixed profound problems on a number of PCs I own (or have worked with) without having to do anything drastic. It's available from Download.com.

I would try that before engage in reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system. 

• never mind posted in wrong thread

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003