Disable Touchpad

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Disable Touchpad

This question is not answered

I have XP on a Lattitude and I want to disable the touchpad. I also have an Inspiron with XP and it is very simple to disable . I cannot find out to disable the touchpad. Will someone help me? Thanks for your help.

Dee

All Replies
  • llorcie,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Click on the mouse properties in Control Panel. From there under the Device Select tab choose to Disable Device under Touch Pad.

#iwork4Dell

• I don't have this function on the Lattitude, that is why I'm having a problem. I put my Inspiron right beside the Lattitude with the mouse propertieds open and the functions are different. I can't find the touchpad on the Lattitude. Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help,

Dee

• llorcie you might have to make sure you have the Dell QuickSet software installed.  I had to use the mouse properties section of QuickSet to disable the touchpad on my Latitude D630.

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.

• llorcie

I don't have this function on the Lattitude, that is why I'm having a problem. I put my Inspiron right beside the Lattitude with the mouse propertieds open and the functions are different. I can't find the touchpad on the Lattitude. Any other suggestions.

You MUST have the official Synaptics Touchpad drivers from the Dell website installed Dee, else the 'Dell Touchpad' tab will not show in the mouse configuration window Idea

If Larry-R's advice about the Dell QuickSet software doesn't change anything, try this:

Once the drivers are installed, open Control Panel --> Mouse --> Dell Touchpad.
    Click on the large screen with an arrow, which will open the touchpad configuration window.
    Click on 'Device Select', and right at the bottom is a box which you can tick to 'Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when a USB mouse is connected.
    As soon as you tick that option, a message will pop up in the taskbar, confirming your selection.

You can make doubly sure however, by also choosing 'Disable' under the Touchpad' heading in the same window.

Be sure to click 'Apply' once you've made your selections.

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• TheRealFireblade
    You MUST have the official Synaptics Touchpad drivers from the Dell website installed...

Yeah, I was assuming this was the case.  If it isn't, TRF is right and you'll need to get the latest driver from the Drivers & Downloads page on support.dell.com.

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.

• FTI I finally got my problem solved today. I called Dell tech support and I didn't  have a driver installed for my touchpad. Now that I have the driver, it disables just like the Inspiron.

Thanks for all your help.

Dee

• llorcie

... I didn't have a driver installed for my touchpad. Now that I have the driver, it disables just like the Inspiron.

As I thought. 

Glad you've got it sorted now Dee Yes

PS:  You can mark the thread itself 'Solved' now as well Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)