Dell Inspiron 1420 drivers for windows xp

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell Inspiron 1420 drivers for windows xp

• Hi guys can any 1 tell me where can i get drivers for dell inspiron 1420 with windows xp home os.Actually my lap came with vista and i shifted to xp home.so can any 1 please tell me where can i get drivers..including web cam n bluetooth.

thanks in advance.

regards .

• You can download them all here

Just make sure to install them in the following order:

Chipset

Ricoh

Audio

Video

Everything else.... 

It's very important the chipset driver be installed 1st. If you don't do this, it can lead to all sorts of problems later. 

Desktop

Asus Rampage, Q9450 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz (4-4-4-12), 8800GTS 512MB

X-Fi XtremeGamer, 4 1TB HDs, Triple Boot - Ubuntu (Hardy), XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 64bit

• i downloaded but could not find the driver for web cam n bluetooth
  • The Webcam driver is there under "Input Device Drivers".

Not too sure about the bluetooth, you could more than likely get away with a bluetooth driver from a different laptop. I'm using one with my XPS M1530.

Desktop

X-Fi XtremeGamer, 4 1TB HDs, Triple Boot - Ubuntu (Hardy), XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 64bit

• i tried with that of 1nspiron 1520..also the blututh module is also same..but its nt working..an ways thanx for ur quick response :)
  • Bluetooth is something I've never really used so I've zero experience of it.

You could try posting this question in the Laptops General Hardware forum.

Desktop

• The list of drivers for the Inspiron 1420 is:

* Dell™ Notebook System Software
        * Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver
        * Mobile Intel® GMA X3100 Video Controller
        * Ricoh® Media Card Reader Driver
        * Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip (Intel Turbo Memory)
        * Broadcom® 59xx 10/100 Integrated Network Controller
        * Wireless driver (if applicable)
        * IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver
        * MDC driver
        * Dell Touch Pad Driver
        * Bluetooth® driver and stack

The web-cam, as  mfinnan101 stated, is listed under Input Devices.  The bluetooth driver should be listed in the Networking section.

Make sure to install the Notebook System Software first, and the Intel Chipset Software second.  If you don't some of the other drivers may not install correctly. 

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.

• I thought the "Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip (Intel Turbo Memory)" driver was only for Vista?  Isn't this thread about xp?
  • Yes, the Flash Cache is Vista only, but the list of drivers is the same otherwise.

• The reason I noticed was I'm having trouble getting my integrated webcam to work on my 1420 with XP.  The driver on dell's website fails to install with a generic error message.  I'm beginning to think the flash cache might have something to do with it (I installed using ATA in the bios).  Do you have any idea if that's the case?
  • One should not effect the other that I am aware of.

When you installed XP, did you start with the Dell Notebook System Software and thenthe Intel Chipset Software?  Failing to install either of those could cause parts of the hardware to not be seen correctly by Windows ...

• DELL-Larry_R wrote:

One should not effect the other that I am aware of.

When you installed XP, did you start with the Dell Notebook System Software and thenthe Intel Chipset Software?  Failing to install either of those could cause parts of the hardware to not be seen correctly by Windows ...

Where can I find the "Dell Notebook System Software"?  Is it with the drivers on the support page?  I assume the version on my recovery disk will be for vista...

• The list of 1420 drivers for XP is here.  The Notebook System Software should be in the System Utilities section, but I'm not seeing it.  Try running the one in the Vista section to see if it will load (unfortunately, I don't know if it will work or not).

• I'll give that a shot. 

In case it doesn't work, are you aware of any drivers directly from Creative that the Dell Webcam program recognizes.  The computer actually recognizes the webcam, and xp installs a native microsoft driver to run it (allowing me to open the webcam in windows), but it's the Dell Webcam program that fails to see it.

• I don't know the specific model of webcam, but if you can get the Creative drivers for it, it should work just fine.  Depending on which driver version it is it may not have been tested by Dell (like the drivers from the support site) but normally hte manufacturer's drivers work just fine.