How can I use Sfc /scannow command in the Recovery Console of Vista toi scan Vista in drive C: ?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

How can I use Sfc /scannow command in the Recovery Console of Vista toi scan Vista in drive C: ?

• Greetings !

I received the message that sfc /scannow inside C:\Windows cannot repair some files that are corrupted, In my Windows XP in aother computer, System File Checker will ask for the Recovery Console to be inserted in the optical drive in order to repair drive C: corrupted or missing files. But Vista does not work that way. And so my question is, " How can I use Sfc /scannow inside the Recovery Console of Vista in order to scan C: and install fresh registry files in place of corrupted files ?

Your attention will be appreciated. Do you have the solution ?

Tom

• There is no Recovery Console in Vista. Directions for repairing vista: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm However, if you are not having any problems, don't be concerned about sfc errors. You might cause other problems by fixing something that's not broken. I get those "some corrupt files" messages too and just ignore them. Vista can tolerate minor file errors.
  • If you can boot into Vista, SFC works just the same as it did in XP, open a run command (windows key + R key) and type in the following and hit OK.

sfc /scannow

Vista does not need the installation CD as XP did.

If Vista will not boot, use this method to repair startup in Vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

• Thanks for the info. But I am getting the impression that XP is better in that part of the troubleshooting, because it can pick upthe missing files from the Installation disk in times when the corrupted files in Drive C have to be deleted and replaced. Vista does this through Startup Repair ? It did not. I tried it. After I checked if sfc /scannow would still say some files are corrupted after a Startup Repair . Therefore Startup Repair does not take the place of sfc /scannow inside the Vista CD. How can that be ? Vista CD is the source of System File Checker.

More clarifications please.

Tom

• Mary,

Your message made me ponder about Sheakespeare's insight. What's in a name, he said. A rose is still a rose even if you give it any other name. If it is not a Recovery Console, Microsoft must have given that installation disk another name.

Anyway, there was a time in the past when technology with computers allowed the copyng of missing files via the floppy disk. Does it mean Vista is backwards ? It will not allow errors to be corrected by the Installation Disk ? Advice me also how I can question Microsoft about this issue. Was it done intentionally ? Why did programmers make it difficult for users of Windows to correct the System Files ? And by the way, I also encountered with messages ( in other computers ) that said: "Startup Repair has failed."

Tom

• 1. Startup repair only repairs Vista if it will not boot into the OS, it repairs the startup function, never said it replaced SFC or had any of the functions of SFC.

2. SFC in Vista does not require the original installation CD/DVD, a copy of the files are stored in safe place within the OS on the hard drive. 

3. Vista is an entirely different type of installation, unlike anything Microsoft has done before, it is an "Image" based install process, therefore the files cannot be accessed from the DVD like they could in all previous versions of Windows.

4. Microsoft does not care what anyone thinks of these changes, take it or leave it I guess.

5. Vista calls it the "Recovery Environment" and it is limited in what it can do.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/d807a440-90ce-4457-a23a-359ff2c9b9bf1033.mspx?mfr=true

6. Yes it is more difficult to repair some problems in Vista than compared to XP

7. If you have the proper Vista Media, you can do a reair similar to XP. This procedure is not documented by Microsoft, so use at your own risk! Read carefully.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vista_installation_using_the_upgrade_option_of_the_vista_dvd.htm