Computer Restarts to a blank screen with blinking cursor in upper left corner

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Computer Restarts to a blank screen with blinking cursor in upper left corner

• I was doing nothing out of the ordinary. My computer is usually on all the time. For some reason, my Outlook wasn't receiving my emails properly, so I restarted the computer and it came up with a blank screen and the blinking cursor. I have a Dimensions 4700. I tried to hit the F2 or the F12 or any F key for that matter, and it doesn't repond to anything. I have restarted it numerous times now, called tech support ($39 for what?) and have read numerous posts, which seem to have the same problem, but the people indicated upgrades or Ram issues, and I haven't done anything accept  shop and browse online, check email.

Obviously, I am kind of stressed right now so if anybody can help that would be great.
  • What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower? If not all green, look up error code here:
    http://snipurl.com/1v31w

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Thanks Ron for that information and link. It was extremely helpful. I am back up and running. I don't know if it was an expansion card per se, but after disconnecting everything and going through the motions, I was able to get it all back up and running.
    Thanks again, and happy holidays!

Lisa

• :)

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee