I can't remove zlavscan.dll.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

I can't remove zlavscan.dll.

• I've recently removed ZoneAlarm from my computer but this one file remains. It is in a ZoneAlarm folder under Program Files. When I try to remove it, I am told that access is denied and may be in use. ZoneAlarm does not appear under Add or Remove Programs. How can I get rid of it? Thanks.
  • Try removing it in safe mode.
  • If safe mode fails this will definitely work.

How do I delete an "undeletable" file?

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs.  Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE   Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.  Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the zlavscan.dll (or other undeletable file) is located in.  At the command prompt type DEL <filename>  where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.   Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.  Close Task Manager.

DEL zlavscan.dll           space between L and z

Message Edited by mombodog on 10-29-2007 08:51 PM
  • I'm finally attempting to fix this. Safe mode did not work. I don't know anything about command prompts. What do I type? The file is located in the folder: program files->zone labs
  • Wow, this thread has been around for a while.

The file is located in the folder: program files->zone labs

You reported that you removed Zone Alarm. If so, you do not need that Zone Labs folder.

Reboot into Safemode:
    Turn on the computer.
    Immediately begin tapping the F8 key.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.

Navigate to the Zone Labs folder and delete the entire folder that contains the file in question.

Reboot into Normal Mode.

See if that helps.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.