Self Test Feature Check

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Self Test Feature Check

• Need help...  I replaced my monitor cable with a longer one today and now instead of my monitoring going blank after a certain amount of time I get this message that floats around on my screen - "self test feature check" and it displays the colors red, green, blue and white in boxes.  Anyone know what causes this and how to get rid of it?  Thanks....
  • Is this the box you see.

" This box also appears during normal system operation if the video cable becomes disconnected or damaged."

• Yes, that's the box I see and the monitor works fine, but when the monitor goes black after the  screen saver shuts down I get this box.  Does this mean I bought the wrong cable?  Thanks...
  • According to the link.

"The floating 'Dell - Self-Test Feature Check' dialog box should appear on-screen (against a black background) if the monitor cannot sense a video signal and is working correctly"

"Turn off your monitor and reconnect the video cable; then turn on both your computer and the monitor"
  • I just noticed that the Dell cable I had has 15 pins on the cable and the new one I bought is only 14.  I think pin 7 is the one missing.  Maybe this why?  Maybe pin 7 monitors the signal or something?
  • Sorry, pin 9 is missing...
  • Well,it certainly does look like the wrong cable. :smileywink:
  • I have this same problem. When the computer turns off the monitor, I get self test dialog box instead of the monitor entering sleep mode. 

Monitor is E228WFP.  Vid card is ATI HD Radeon 2400.  OS is XP Home.

Is there a way to disable the "self test feature check" in the service menu?

[BTW, pin 9 is not used for VGA/SVGA/XVGA]

Message Edited by caa100 on 04-23-2008 11:36 AM
  • I had the same problem and replaced my VGA cable that had no PIN-5 with one that did and it went into sleep mode properly.  Just to be sure I checked all the pins on the old VGA cable and they rang out fine.
  • Self test feature check with red,green,blue & white after loging off how can i correct this