WINDOWS XP - SYSTEM RESTORE FUNCTION

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

WINDOWS XP - SYSTEM RESTORE FUNCTION

• On numerous occasions, I have tried to restore my Dimension E521 to a previous date or to a restore point.   No matter what I do, after running the System Restore function, I get the message that the program was unable to complete the restore operation and to try again using another restore point.  No matter what date I select, I get the same message... I have done this same operation on my Dell Laptop and Compaq Desktop using XP and it always works.. Just not on my Dell E521.  Any Ideas?
  • Restore is corrupt most likely, to solve, turn system restore off, then on again, you will lose any previous restore points.

Some third party security software can interfere with the process also.

Message Edited by mombodog on 08-12-2007 06:22 PM
  • Are you running Norton?

Uncheck Auto Protect and then System Restore should work

The "protection" offered is only to protect NAV, not your PC's overall functions.

It is just a security feature that prevents outside programs from making changes to the Norton product
  • "Uncheck Auto Protect and then System Restore should work. The "protection" offered is only to protect NAV, not your PC's overall functions."

Dunedin, Auto Protect is what provides real time virus protection. It is NOT a good idea to turn it off. The "Turn on protection for my Symantec product" option is what protects NAV or NIS itself. This is the recommended procedure to enable System Restore when running Norton.
  • Apologies for that. :smileysad:

I do know the correct procedure but wrote the answer from memory.

That will teach me to double check first.