unhandled win32 exception occured in svchost.exe - Microsoft OS Forum - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community

unhandled win32 exception occured in svchost.exe

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

unhandled win32 exception occured in svchost.exe

• Hi, I'll start by explain my environnement, maybe it could help.
    A Win2003 domain with 2003 servers and Xp SP2 clients. (around 300 computers)
    All our computers are Dell. I don't know if it is a Dell related problems or Microsoft related.
    This error (unhandled win32 exception occured in svchost.exe) did start when we start buying Core2Duo computers. (Optiplex 745, and Lattitude D620, Core2DuocComputers)
    By reading some post and forums on the internet, I figured out (I think) that is related with Windows Update and High Definition Audio device.
    The problem generally occurs when the computer starts. After the startup, Windows launch his Windows Update, and at the beginning of the process the error appears. This error cause the most important svchost services to crash and everything goes bad after, until I reboot. After the reboot, Windows Update start again and goes the same error, over and over again. Ive been able to bypass this by disabling the audio device in the bios (but I don't really to keep it like this!). Another way is to disable the Windows Update (not another great idea). It looks like a conflict between High definition audio and Windows Update.
    I have installed the drivers from the Dell web site, for my model, but no change.
    I know that you gonna say that is Microsoft related, but it looks that im not the first one that experienced this behaviors with Dell's computer (by looking at this support forums). Any help will be appreciated.
    I have nearly 20 computers and 5 laptops that become unusuable when these errors starts.

• Type setting Windows Automatic Updater to Notify Only instead of Automatic. You'll get notice of new updates in the system tray by the clock, but you'll have to go the update site to download the updates manually.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Actually we have an internal WSUS server, and we force the settings of Windows Update (specify the update server, when to deploy patch, manually or automatic, reboot or not, etc..) through group policy. We don't want to let the user decide if they do patching or not and we don't want to disable updates.

Thanks.

Message Edited by mathieubouffard on 04-05-2007 12:11 PM
  • If this is Realtek HD Audio, you may need to read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi, It's not Realtek, it's soundmax from "analog devices".
    I still tried to install the patch from
    but the problem persist.
    I've even try to install the new driver from realtek (i'm trying everything) without success.
  • You're not doing anything helpful installing that patch or Realtek drivers if you don't have Realtek hardware in the system. In fact, you could be making things much worse, so uninstall them. Go to the MS update site home page and look for the link for update help.

My experience with MS shows they can be extremely helpful with problems caused by updates, and they haven't charged me anything. Had at least 6 emails from MS about a problem caused by an update in just the past week. They eventually resolved the problem for me.

Good luck!

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee