How do I log on as Administrator ?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

How do I log on as Administrator ?

• How do I log on as administrator in vista? When I say administrator,I mean the default administraton.Not me with administrator rights.

I do not see the administrator Icon in users nor do I have option to get to it. Is there some
    registry tweek to make it show up as an option?

Thanks is advance !
  • You can access the administrator account through safe mode.

Once you log in, you can set the account so that it will appear on your normal login screen.

Why do you need the administrator account, though?
  • I dont, just an option I had before in XP and I could not figure out how to get in vista thats all. I knew that Microsft did not throw away that option.
  • "You can access the administrator account through safe mode.Once you log in, you can set the account so that it will appear on your normal login screen."
    This did not work, I did not see that option as you stated..
  • When I formatted my hard drive and did a clean install of Vista it automatically put me as a true administrator without all of those annoying UAC prompts. UAC is the most annoying thing. I am secure enough with NOD32 anti-virius and Windows Defender. Stop bugging me.

var domain = "en.community.dell.com" var getGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].getItem(key); } var setGS = function (key, val) { return globalStorage[domain].setItem(key, val); } var delGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].removeItem(key); }

var domain = "en.community.dell.com" var getGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].getItem(key); } var setGS = function (key, val) { return globalStorage[domain].setItem(key, val); } var delGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].removeItem(key); }

• I found this to show the admin account in Vista.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this personally. Your mileage may vary.

Remember that cute "Administrator" account you see when you login to safe mode in XP? That's the built-in administrator account that's installed by default, and disabled by default too, after a little digging-in I made this tutorial that'll let you enable and use this account in normal mode, and with a little other tweak, enjoying an XP-like administrator experience, while UAC is left ON (or off, it doesn't matter), but with no prompts or right clicks.

For Windows Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise:

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (
    You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)
    2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
    3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
    4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium:

1- Click Start, and type "cmd" in the search area, right click on "Command Prompt" and select 'Run as Administrator".

2- In the command prompt type "net users Administrator /active'" (Note the capital "A" in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as "The command completed successfully".

3- Click Start, and type "regedit" in the search area and click Enter, navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    Double click on "FilterAdministratorToken" and set it to "0"

Now log-off, and you'll see new account named "Administrator" is available, click on it to login.

Now you are the master of your domain! I recommend if you're going to use this method is to apply it as soon as you do a fresh install of Windows, so you can simply delete whatever administrator you've created in the setup process, and make this one the "real" administrator for your PC, also you can rename this new admin account or change its password like any other account from "User Accounts" in the Control Panel.

A last note: Please apply this procedures only if you know what you're doing. Disabling security features in the operating system is not something recommended to the average Joe, and for sure I won't be held accountable for any damaging happens to your system or files resulting from running a full administrator account all the time.

pcgeek11

• Thank you so much PCGeek11, Works like you said.Now I feel like I am in control of my PC again instead of my PC in control of me by limiting my access to files and folders. Thanks again!!
  • Default administrator will not appear unless all orthere administrators on machine have been removed
  • My problem is even deeper.  When upgrading using the express upgrade my user account was demoted to "common" user without administrator rights, so I can't get to any of the above suggested remedies.  What can I do?
  • It is probably FAR too late for me to help. But, in case you have waited almost a year with the same problem, I'll try to help. Try booting your "locked" Vista computer in safe mode, and see if the "Administrator" account is present. If it is, then you can edit your "common" user settings.