System Restore on Dell Inspiron E1705 Will NOT Work!

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

System Restore on Dell Inspiron E1705 Will NOT Work!

• I received my system Sept 1, 2006, did a clean install of the OS (with a full format of course, I know how to do these things, been doing them for years:), got all the drivers resintalled, and then all my programs and have been up and running ever since.  HOWEVER for some reason, the few times that I have tried doing a system restore (because I accidently deleted something I didn't want to delete) once the system reboots from doing the 'apparent' restore, I get a message telling me that "Cannot restore the computer to an earlier restore point, no changes have been made to your computer".  I'm not sure why this is happening as I have NEVER encountered this problem ever before using Windows XP on any other computer before...including my old Dell Inspiron 6000 and a few Compaq notebook's I had before that.

I read somewhere that if you turn off system restore, reboot, then reactivate system restore again and then create a new restore point to start everything over again, that this will fix the problem.  I have tried it and it works.  BUT as soon as I start adding more files to my machine or something or doing more work, if I try to do a system restore after that, nope, it won't work!

I don't understand what the problem is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
  • Sorry, in checking one of my recommendations, I came across This post.

I would hate to think I would a. give you incorrect advice,  or 
    2.   Advise on something you are already aware  (like the re-install errors)

Message Edited by obey_gravity on 11-01-2006 05:34 AM

Quote from above post:  Makes sense, only I was stupid enough to believe the advice from this board.

I too question your reasoning for asking advice,  and moreso, people offering advice based on your last posting

Here

Message Edited by obey_gravity on 11-02-2006 01:01 AM

• ?
  • Sseadoubleyou, have you gone into services and made sure it is set to automatic? Control panel>admin tools>services>scroll down to system restore services>set to auto.

Dell 2350, 768mb ram, 60gig hardrive,Maxtor 250gig external drive, zone alarm free version 7.0.483, Avg 7.5, IE 6

• I'm not even sure why I bother to come here anymore.  It seems like everyone on here is a 'wise guy' posting smart remarks to other people.  I don't see what an audio card has to do with system restore or why you would even post a link to another thread I started about something totally different???

And yes to the other question, I have checked to make sure automatic is set to on as asked.

Thanks.