My computer keeps dumping my memory...what does this mean & how can I fix it?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

My computer keeps dumping my memory...what does this mean & how can I fix it?

• A couple of weeks  ago my computer started acting up.  First it had opened 85 windows for norton anti virus outgoing mail scanner.  Then it would not open ie which now it does but it freezes up.  Now when I am on after about 10 minutes I get this blue screen comes up and says that it is shutting down to prevent damage to my computer.  And it also is saying that it is dumping my virtual memory.    I have reinstalled xp from the cd that came with my computer.  When I try to download updates it tells me that I need higher than ie 5 which I have tried downloading both 6 & 7 but will not download so I cannot do any updates,  I am at a loss and  I hope someone out there can help.  Thanks.
  • You should post the exact error type and code from the blue screen. It helps to know what kind of error you are encountering.

What computer model do you have?

What operating system?

This could be a driver or hardware problem. Try running the Dell diagnostics and a memory test. Hard to tell without more info.

Peter
  • I have a Dimension 2300.  I will try to write down the message next time it pops up and let you know.  And if it is a driver or hardware problem what are my options?  Thanks for getting back to me.
  • My computer is a Dimension 2300.  The blue screen says that it is dumping physical memory.  The message says that I need to check for a BIOS update.  I have no clue where to do this at.  It also says that there may be a driver problem.  In the stop line it has only numbers.  They are: 0X0000008E, 0XC0000005, 0XF01648B7, 0XEF364A20.  Is there anyone who can tell me what to do?  Thanks.
  • The stop message means that a memory access violation has occurred (the 0XC0000005 part of the message), see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/DevTest_g/hh/DevTest_g/t05_bugs_60_299217d6-98d1-4d1d-8068-883e89933845.xml.asp

I suggest that you run the memory tests in the Dell diagnostics.

As far as your BIOS is concerned, for the Dimension 2300, the last BIOS update was A02, in September 2002, so unless you got your PC before that date you probably already have that. You can check by entering the BIOS when you start your PC, immediately before Windows starts loading, press F2 repeatedly to Enter Setup. You should see the version there.

Other possibilities are driver conflicts: have you updated any drivers prior to this beginning, or added/replaced any hardware components?

XPS630i Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz BIOS 1.0.13 FSB 1066MHz
    RAM: 3 GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    HDD: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA non RAID
    DVD: Liteon DH-20A1S and HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GSA-H73N
    Video: GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    Audio: Audigy 2, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
    Monitor: Dell 1800FP

XP pro SP3 IE8 WMP 11

• I have not udated any drivers or installed any hardware prior to this problem.
  • Hello there.

I know this thread is way old, but I have the same question and I really would like some help.

I have a Inspiron 2650 notebook (2002) maybe age is what the problem is.

Anyways now my computer, has brought up the bluescreen, but everytime I want to start off in Safemode or when I do get on Safemode it restarts all on its' own again in less than five minutes. Now what the bluescreen says : If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory option such as cahing or shadowing. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000050 0xE139c000, 0x00000000, 0x8052862c, 0x00000001)

Dumping of physical memory to disk....

I haven't installed hardware or software, all I have downloaded are computer updates, which really didn't download because it did said above.

I am no computer whiz or any of the sort, I have just taken really good care of my computer. Would anybody out there be kind enough to help me out, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.