Recovery console

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Recovery console

• I need to access the recovery console but my Dell system is one of the newer ones where you hit a special key combination to reset windows to the origional settings instead of useing a disk (No windows disk supplied). How do i access the recovery console on this system?
  • The Windows XP Recovery Console is not the same things as the PC Restore. Windows XP Recovery Console is a special boot up method that can be used to help fix problems that are preventing your Windows installation from properly booting up into Windows. This method allows you to access files, format drives, disable and enable services, and other tasks from a console prompt while the operating system is not loaded. If anyone know the real answer to the question posted here,.... how does one run the Windows XP Recovery Console on a Dell that did not come with a Windows XP CD? Please, let us know. I have two disk drives. My first drive runs just fine and has the OS on it. When I power on my second drive, the one with all my data, my system freezes up. I need to get to the Recovery Console so I can run chkdsk /r on the drive to fix and recover what data I can.
  • Did you ever figure out how to do it? Or did you have to order the CD?
  • If you go to the link below, and scroll down to "How to create a bootable CD to access Recovery Console"

Download the file, unzip and burn the ISO file to a CD.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

XPS 410  Core2,  2.4 Ghz,   8Gb,  Win7 64

Latitude D610  XP pro,  Win7 RC