Windows Media Center 2005/Can't play demo videos, licensing error

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows Media Center 2005/Can't play demo videos, licensing error

• Hi Guys,

I tried for the first time last night to play one of the demo videos within WMC2005 and I get the following:

Your video needs licensing contact http://localhost/licerror.aspx. When I do all I get is a garbled screen which at the top says: select your license below, but the screen is just a few garbled characters at the top and blank otherwise. I went through all the setup for internet, etc. twice but still get the same results...

Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  • Some info on that problem can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/25/484995.aspx
    I noticed the same thing as you- demos that previously viewed now do not. Apparantly it's related to the Windows Update Rollup2.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

WOT Web of Trust    Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

(Mostly) Free Security Software- A Primer

• Joe,

Did you install the update rollup 2 yet? In my surfing, I did notice that is such a file available for download, but I did not download and install it yet.
  • Yes, I did install it when it was released some time ago. Apart from the problem noted above, it gave me no problems. I have also installed all other MCE patches when offered without any hassle, but others have noted various bugs.

• So, I guess I must ask, after installing it did your playing of the demo videos go away , or do you still have them?
  • Yes, I lost the demo videos., and get the same error message you did. But read the link I gave you above- there is some advice there on how to avoid this.  I have subsequently downloaded other Hi-Def demonstration videos, and was able to acquire the DRM licences to view them in MCE and WMP10.

• Ok, and thanks for the link. I'll go there again and take a look at it. Can you provide a link to where you downloaded the other demo videos, so I can go there and see if they will work after downloading one of them?

Many thanks for your help....
  •  
    Download any WMV clip marked with an asterix- 'Uses DRM'. Note these are Hi-Def files, and your monitor/LCD-TV may not play them unless Hi-Def ready.

• Ok, many thanks. I will let you know how it goes...