Where is setup.ini?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Where is setup.ini?

• I have a Dimension 8200 running XP Home Edition (SP1).

While resolving an issue installing a new graphics card I received the following message:

Files required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your___ now.’

As the message was incomplete I tried inserting every disc I had but none was correct. At one point I generated the message ‘Setup needs next disc. Please insert disk 2 that contains the file setup.ini’    I can’t find this file.

Symptoms to date include inability to use F8 on the keyboard to initiate Safe mode and, possibly, erratic responses to the mouse.

Any advice?

• Try a Repair install using your XP disc.
  • It wants your XP Re-Installation cd to replace some system files; do you have a cd labelled "ReInstallation" ?

If not I would restart computer and when keyboard lights start flashing start tapping the F8 key. When the Advanced Menu comes up choose Safe Mode. Attempt, from there, to do a System Restore to a date before you installed the new video drivers.