Windows XP unable to read chinese

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows XP unable to read chinese

• I have a bunch of foreign music on my harddrive and my Inspiron 9300 was able to read it before it crashed. After doing a PC system restore and downloading the language patches it still is not able to read chinese characters. I do not want to change my language of the computer to chinese. Does anyone know any other patches I can download to fix this problem.
  • In control panel, Regional and language Options applet, languages tab, did you install the East Asian Languages? That includes, I think 5 variants of Chinese. If not, check that box, click apply, etc. Can't remember if it needed the CD.

XPS630i Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz BIOS 1.0.13 FSB 1066MHz
    RAM: 3 GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    HDD: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA non RAID
    DVD: Liteon DH-20A1S and HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GSA-H73N
    Video: GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    Audio: Audigy 2, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
    Monitor: Dell 1800FP

XP pro SP3 IE8 WMP 11

• JRosenfeld , the East Asian Language support installs the following language support and their respective IME:

Traditional Chinese characters
    Simplified Chinese characters
    Japanese characters
    Korean characters

It does not support 5 variants of Chinese :smileyvery-happy:

Please don't send questions about your issues to me by Private Messages; post them in the appropriate board so everyone can read. Thank you.

• eltce wrote:
    I have a bunch of foreign music on my harddrive and my Inspiron 9300 was able to read it before it crashed. After doing a PC system restore and downloading the language patches it still is not able to read chinese characters. I do not want to change my language of the computer to chinese. Does anyone know any other patches I can download to fix this problem.

eltce,

In general, you cannnot change the language of your Windows installation, i.e., English Windows is English Windows.  However, English version of Windows XP Professional will allow the user to change the language of the interface you see by installing Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI), but the underlying language of the operating system is still English.  Installing MUI is not the same as a localized version of Windows in your chosen language.

If you want to read Chinese characters and have Chinese program support (albeit may not be 100%), you could try configuring your computer this way.
    http://www.mesquire.com/faq/computer/winxpcht/setup.htm

If you want to install MUI, this is not available as a free download or as a retail addon, but through OEM and corporate licensing channels.

Please don't send questions about your issues to me by Private Messages; post them in the appropriate board so everyone can read. Thank you.

• If I could jump in here, ......I have benn asked to install a German version of XP and I think the easiest way to do this would be to make a dual boot system since the husband speaks both languages also.
  • Have you tried changing your CHCP settings? (CHCP= Code Page settings for language)