Windows has detected a problem, blue screen

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows has detected a problem, blue screen

• My computer was very slow this morning and the task manager was not opening so I believed there was a virus on my computer I then proceeded to attempt a reformat of my hard drive. During the installation of windows while it was restarting my computer, a blue screen came on my monitor that said "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer" This was followed by steps I couldn't follow because I cannot reach the desktop. Every time I restart my computer the same blue screen appears even when i try to start windows in safe mode. The technical reference is "Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF7C7B524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
  • Yay, someone with my problem.

DELL DOES IT AGAIN!
  • I just had the exact same problem.  I've been running for 10 months on this my Dimension 4600 desktop.  I couldn't boot in safe mode either.  I tried booting from "Last Known good Configuration", but that didn't work.

I was able to reboot with the CD rom and attempted to repair my disk in the recovery console, but it couldn't do it.  Everytime I ran "CHKDSK /P/R" it stopped around 39%. 

I finally tried to reinstall using the CD Rom, but it ran into this error and couldn't go on.

"cannot create \windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32X86"

I'm not an expert, but it seems like either the disk is damaged or something really serious happened.

I tried calling Dell technical support, but hung up after waiting for 25 minutes.

• I fixed the problem I booted directly from the cd-rom and the windows install finished thank god yay hopes this helps the rest of u!!
  • yea hockey, that is what i was going to say, do a "clean" install where you boot from the cd-rom drive with the win xp cd, and format the harddrive etc..

when doing a clean install of win xp, usually, it is good to delete the partition where win xp was previously installed, and i would also delete any other partitions that are found, if any, and then create a new partition.. there might be an exception if you have a second harddrive, or a second partition that you are using to store data..
  • Unfortunately, this doesn't help me since I have valuable data on my hard drive. 

• light99, are you running win xpsp2? if so, you need to use a win xpsp2 cd for doing a "repair install" on a computer that is running win xpsp2.. maybe you were trying to do a "repair install" with a win xpsp1 cd, and that was the problem..

• redwolfe_98,

You're right!  I did use a xpsp1a disk (that's what it came with).  I guess I'll have to locate a xpsp2.disk.  Other than finding one down in my basement somewhere, is there a way to download it or purchase it?
  • you can order  a win xpsp2 cd for free from microsoft, or borrow one from a friend..

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 08-26-2005 06:22 PM

• Thanks!!

• Opps!  Dell wrote me back and said they don't provide the XP SP2 on a CD disk anymore.  They suggest that I download it on my PC.  I guess I'll have to go down to my basement and look for one after all. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

From your e-mail I understand that you wish to order for Service pack2 for Windows XP. I realize the importance of the concern.

As a Customer Service Representative, I can assist you with the support options available with your Microsoft product. However, I would like to inform you that, Microsoft do not provide Windows XP SP2 in CD now. You may download SP2 from the site.

You may download SP2 for Windows XP from the site:

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Sagar
    Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative
  • uhg! that is bad to hear..

if you give me your address, i will mail you one..

you can send your address to me in an email.. my email address is "redwolfe_98 at yahoo"..

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 08-27-2005 02:27 PM