Explorer.exe failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Explorer.exe failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found

• Has anyone had this problem?  My PC worked fine until today.  I cannot boot my PC beyond the background.  I received this message:  Explorer.exe unable to loacate component; This application has failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I know nothing about this dll file.  Nor do I know what software uses it.  I talked with a Dell technician this afternoon as I could not get it reloaded from the Windows XP PRO CD.  He could find nothing on the dll file.  Neither could we restore the system via various methods.  I was told that I would have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything.  Not wanting to loose all my data, I started trying to work around the problem.  I found that I could run programs using the Task Manager,  File, Open.  In a Google search for UxTheme, I found several website that referred tot a patch for the file, but none to explain what it is and why I would have it on my PC and why I cannot boot the PC normally.

It appears to me that there should be a way to fix this without reformatting since I can the run the programs and find my data through Task Manager.

Can anyone please help?  I would be most thankful!

Sandy

Message Edited by SandyC on 05-05-2003 09:24 PM

• Denny, I was not able to recover the file.  I worked with a Dell technician last evening and we finally had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.  I'm still trying to get my PC configuration back as I had.  Sure wish the recovery had worked.  Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Sandy

• The following worked for me. I found it from the www.tek-tips.com website.

Message from tektips copied below:

I have experienced this in my place of work a couple of times, and after some serious head scratching i discovered that the common element was a file called Uxtheme.dll

If you get this file from the net or from another XP machine, copy it to a floppy disk, then start your XP machine in safe mode with a command prompt, then copy the .dll file into the c:\i386 and c:\windows\system32 directories - you should be able to restart your machine as normal - and the problem appears to be solved!

I dont know what causes it, and aint sure if its a permament solution but all I know that it seems to work!

Hope this helps!