Forums

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

are windows xp updates NECESSARY or do they HURT your computer

• is it necessary to install windows xp updates?  Doesn't the massive file load hurt your computer?  What about the fact that some updates are for applications that certain people don't use?  For example i never use outlook.  I'm always logging on to hotmail.  Anyway please get back to me about  this because i had a problem on two computers after installing windows updates both an originally configured xp and a win 98 to win professional 2000 followed by the updates from the windows site (the updates being what messed me up).  In fact the Dell customer service told my father not to download them.  But those guys can't even speak english.  Any help for somebody who knows what they are talking about would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• jcnyhc wrote:
    is it necessary to install windows xp updates?  Doesn't the massive file load hurt your computer?  What about the fact that some updates are for applications that certain people don't use?  For example i never use outlook.  I'm always logging on to hotmail.  Anyway please get back to me about  this because i had a problem on two computers after installing windows updates both an originally configured xp and a win 98 to win professional 2000 followed by the updates from the windows site (the updates being what messed me up).  In fact the Dell customer service told my father not to download them.  But those guys can't even speak english.  Any help for somebody who knows what they are talking about would be appreciated.  Thanks!

All Windows CRITICAL UPDATES should be applied to your system.  If you're not going to do that, and you're going to use Windows (especially XP), then you should not use the internet.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• jcnyhc wrote:
    is it necessary to install windows xp updates?  Doesn't the massive file load hurt your computer?  What about the fact that some updates are for applications that certain people don't use?  For example i never use outlook.  I'm always logging on to hotmail.  Anyway please get back to me about  this because i had a problem on two computers after installing windows updates both an originally configured xp and a win 98 to win professional 2000 followed by the updates from the windows site (the updates being what messed me up).  In fact the Dell customer service told my father not to download them.  But those guys can't even speak english.  Any help for somebody who knows what they are talking about would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Critical Updates: Absolutely yes, if you're using the system to connect to the internet.  I'm not sure what you mean by a "massive file load," but you probably have image files on there that are far larger than any update from Windows.

For the most part, Windows Update only offers you updates for applications currently installed on your system.  Doesn't matter whether you use Outlook - if it's installed, you'll be offered the update.

As far as the Recommended updates, those are optional, but some are quite useful.  The Error Reporting one, for example, and the Windows Security update is another that comes to mind, but it's not necessary to install those, or the driver updates, although the drivers they're offering for XP users appear to be much better than the ones they used to offer for the 9x stuff.

Assuming they were referring to Critical Updates, whoever it was from Dell that told your father not to download Windows Updates is completely out of his/her mind.  Period.