DOS games/4100 Dimension/95 & 98

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

DOS games/4100 Dimension/95 & 98

This question is not answered

Good Morning,

I have a question about older things; please don't laugh Sad

I need to know if I should be able to load Windows 95 into an old Dell Dimension 4100 [2000 vintage]. I want to run some old DOS games for my grandson to play and some of the music is pretty cool too.  I hooked up a freshly wiped 20gb HD for the task. Problem is, none of my three 95 discs are being recognized [95 install disc, 95 "Starts Here" disc, 95 Upgrade disc]. Just get the "Invalid diskette in drive A" message.  My Windows 98SE disc takes right off and installs like it should.

Any helping thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

All Replies
  • Win 98 was oldest version of Windows Dell offered on the D4100. So it's possible the Win 95 disks have a different file format that isn't supported and/or the boot loader won't work.

Won't those old games run under Win 98? I ran some old DOS programs under Win XP, at least until XP Sevice Pack 3 came out, so you might want to try the games with Win 98.

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• 322buick

See if the following can help,

Installing Microsoft Windows 95

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=51935&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                              

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community