{moved} Dell Reinstallation having OS Product Key Issues

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

{moved} Dell Reinstallation having OS Product Key Issues

This question is not answered

I have recently had Hardware issue related to HDD for my Dell Inspiron N5110 Laptop, where I got the replacement of HDD from Dell Support team for my case ID # 780507651824. The Dell Service engineer have visited my place and replaced the HDD. He have started doing the Reinstallation of the Windows 7 Home premium using the Operating system DVD shipped alongwith the machine. The Service englineer could not do OS reinstallation successfully as the reinstallation required windows product key to be entered. The product key sticker (COA) at the base is not fully readable. We have contacted the dell support team and they have informed us that the OS reinstallation should not ask any product key during the reinstallation process.

The DVD used is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64bit) OS reinstallation DVD.The P/N of the DVD is 571CC. Can anyone suggest how this problem could be solved as currently have only 15 days remaining for OS activation.

Thanks in advance. I am very unhappy with the service provided by Dell at India as no one even bothered to track the status of this issue and solution provided.

All Replies
  •  

Try phoning either of these numbers. You should be able to speak to a Microsoft Representitive and activate Windows.

I am going to move this thread to the Microsoft OS forum.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• I have spoken with the microsoft representative and they have suggested to check with Dell as the OS reinstallation DVD shipped seems to be Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with SP1 and the COA given at the base of the machine is of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Hence, they suggested Dell Could ONLY SUPPORT !!!

• Okay you are in the model case of something I complained to Dell about. Stuck in the middle of the 2 companies.

In the mean time you could try updating your BIOs to the latest version, by downloading and running this file here. Be careful when performing the BIOs update and close any programs before running the update.

You can then try reinstalling Windows 7 as here using the DVD. It might automatically activate as it should after the BIOs is updated.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Hi,

you can try with fresh installation.

• You can do SLMGR -Rearm

Press the win key + R and type slmgr.vbs and enter. Then instead of pressing OK tick the red x and you get more options.

1. Log in using an account with Local Administrator privileges.
    2. Confirm that your Date, Time and Region Settings are correct. Activation may not work if these are set wrong.
    3. Ensure that your computer is able to access the Internet. Activation requires a working network connection.
    4. Go to StartAll ProgramsAccessoriesCommand Prompt.
    5. Right-click the Command Prompt program entry.

6. Select Run as Administrator. This is important, activation will not complete if you do not run as Administrator.
    7. At the prompt type the following commands:

c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -rearm

Next you’ll simply type in this command:

slmgr -rearm

Within a few seconds you’ll normally see this dialog show up, saying that the command has completed successfully, at which point you’ll want to reboot.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.