Inspiron 6400 missing drivers

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Inspiron 6400 missing drivers

This question is answered

Had to reload Windows XP on my Inspiron 6400.  Now my PCI device, ethernet controller and network controller won't work.  Used my service tag # to bring up the Dell driver downloads for my PC but don't see any names or numbers that correlate to disabled divices.  Any suggestions???

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • I upgraded to Service Pack 3 and seem to be making progress my Device Manager is now indicating I only have a problem with an Audio device on high definition audio bus.  I'm still installing the other programs you suggested so I'm not done yet.

Thanks-  Dave

• That problem should be resolved after the installation of the Dell Notebook Software, Chipset, Video, Conexant Modem and Sigmatel Audio drivers.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• natakuc4 - I finished installing your recommendations.  My Device Manager now shows no problems however the toolbar on the bottom of my Windows screen has a new icon that represent the Intel Wireless Troubleshooter.  When I turn on my PC the Troubleshooter indicates I have an adapter problem.  When I open the Troubleshooter it says the wireless driver is not installed in the system.  Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Dave

• natakuc4 -  In my last post I forgot to mention the Dell Multidevice A17_R174291 failed to install;  got a error "update cpp455" has occured.  

Dave

• If you open up the device manager. What does it say under network adapters?

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Under Network Adapters

- 1394 Net Adapter

- Broadcom 440 x 10/100 Integrated controller

- Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

• Since you have the Dell Wireless Card you shouldn't of been able to install R171131 Intel Wireless. It seems like the Intel Application managed to install however. It is useless without the Intel adaptor so you will need to remove it. 

You should have an error like the above every time you log in. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Select the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software, select change and opt to remove it.

There might also be Dell Wireless somewhere, remove it also. Then reboot your machine. Then perform a clean with ccleaner. Next tap Fn and F2 and tap Fn and F2 again.

Next try to install R189136 instead, this is an updated driver but not listed on the Inspiron 6400 drivers and downloads page. Hopefully you won't get the cpp error again.

P.S. if there are no errors left and you have not installed a bluetooth card, it is likely you don't have one so I would not attempt installing any of the bluetooth drivers. So you have the following installed?

Windows XP Standalone Service Pack 3 

Internet Explorer 8 

Windows Media Player 11 

.Net Framework 2.0 

R120775 Dell Notebook Software - Under Utility 

R114079 Intel Chipset - Under Chipset 

R141246 Ricoh Card Reader - Under Chipset 

R153830 Intel Graphics - Under Video* ?

R128573 ATI Graphics - Under Video* ?

R126007 nVidea Graphics - Under Video* ?

R114200, R90851 Conexant Modem - Under Communication 

R149798R150593 Broadcom Ethernet - Under Network 

R174291 Dell Wireless - Under Network ✘ (but try R189136)

R120179 Synaptics Touchpad - Under Input 

R171789 Sigmatel Audio - Under Audio 

R157261 Dell Quickset - Under Applications 

Dell Support Centre

Microsoft Security Essentials**

* One of these should install, 2 should fail what one do you have?
    ** Unless you have a preferred security program.

Philip Yip

• Incorporated your suggestions and everything works great!  In fact PC runs better now that ever.  Thanks sooo... much.      PS-  I have all the drivers you inquired about and the links you provided to get each driver were really helpful.  Thanks again!      Dave Trader

• Hi Dave,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum

I am really very glad to know that my post helped you installing the Ethernet and network controller, please try the below given links for your PCI device.

In case above links doesn't work, I would request you to please try the below link for flashing the BIOS, and then try the above links one more time.

Hope this helps!

Vishal Singh

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• I have recently updated a Dell Inspiron e1505 running inspiron 6400.  I followed this step by step and my laptop is up and running with Microsoft Security Essentials as mentioned last on your list.  Very good instructions!  Very Informative!

• Glad they helped bnmcross enjoy your Inspiron 6400/E1505. :)

Philip Yip

• ETA-67/2005

• moka2012
    ETA-67/2005

?

Philip Yip

• Hello Vishal,

I'm working on a friend's Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows Vista. He asked me to look at it saying his "wireless wasn't working". I checked Device Manager and saw that no wireless interface was listed. I scanned for new hardware and found nothing. I tried installing 2 of the drivers listed on the Dell website. One failed (the Dell driver) and the other one seemed to install ok but there still is no wireless device listed in Device Manager. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Why is your friend all of sudden noticing that his "wireless isn't working"?

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7