BIOS update

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

BIOS update

This question is answered

Hi folks,

After BIOS update A20 version for my Optiplex 755 SFF there is no HDD Acoustic setting in BIOS! I couldn't change this settings over Dell Client Configuration Utility...Any idea?

Dell Optiplex GX280SMT-P4 3.0Ghz HT, 2xWD160GB, 2GB DDR2, Radeon X300SE

Dell Optilex 755SFF-C2D E8400, WDCaviarBlue500GB+WDScorpioBlack 500GB, 6GB DDR2, Redeon HD2400XT

Verified Answer
  • I don't have the HDD Acoustic setting in BIOS either on my 755 SFF with A19 BIOS.  In looking at this further (which I somehow didn't think to do until now), release notes for the 755 BIOS version A16 says: "Removed HDD acoustic support".  So, in order to get your Acoustic setting back, you will need flash back to A15.  In so doing, however, you will lose the following fixes/enhancements from the following BIOS updates:

A20:
    1.Update MEFW 3.2.60.1060
    2.Add Signed Firmware Update Feature

A19:
    Added new master password algorithm support

A17:
    1.Updated PSA diagnostic
    2.Updated ImageServer Option ROM
    3.Updated Intel TXT module
    4.Enhanced the method of specific smart card support.
    5.Added back 512MB memory configurations support which was removed in A16 BIOS

A16:
    1.Removed HDD acoustic support
    2.Added remote TPM activation support
    3.Updated Intel ME firmware
    4.Updated ImageServer Option ROM
    5.Secure MEBx
    6.Removed support for 512MB memory configuration

All Replies
  • Am i the only who has noticed this? I think i'm not :). C'mon people...

Dell Optilex 755SFF-C2D E8400, WDCaviarBlue500GB+WDScorpioBlack 500GB, 6GB DDR2, Redeon HD2400XT

• I'll check my 755 when I get back to work on Tuesday.  I don't care about the setting (I suspect most people don't, which is possibly why nobody has noticed - or at least not enough people to affect the population of this forum), but I will check.

• Thanks theflash1932! I ask because my HD-WD1600AAJS-22WAA0 sounds to noisy.There are some programs like HDDScan that allow you to change this settings but i'm not sure is it safe to use ti since there is no program from WD company.

• I don't have the HDD Acoustic setting in BIOS either on my 755 SFF with A19 BIOS.  In looking at this further (which I somehow didn't think to do until now), release notes for the 755 BIOS version A16 says: "Removed HDD acoustic support".  So, in order to get your Acoustic setting back, you will need flash back to A15.  In so doing, however, you will lose the following fixes/enhancements from the following BIOS updates:

A20:
    1.Update MEFW 3.2.60.1060
    2.Add Signed Firmware Update Feature

A19:
    Added new master password algorithm support

A17:
    1.Updated PSA diagnostic
    2.Updated ImageServer Option ROM
    3.Updated Intel TXT module
    4.Enhanced the method of specific smart card support.
    5.Added back 512MB memory configurations support which was removed in A16 BIOS

A16:
    1.Removed HDD acoustic support
    2.Added remote TPM activation support
    3.Updated Intel ME firmware
    4.Updated ImageServer Option ROM
    5.Secure MEBx
    6.Removed support for 512MB memory configuration

• This set of informations is really great, thanks! So, if use my comp. for home should i flash-back to A15 or stay with A20. By the way, have you tried some program for changing this acoustic mode?

• Well, most of the fixes/enhancements are usually only used in a business environment, but there are a few that might impact you:

ME/MEFW and Signed Firmware Update Feature protects against some forms of system attacks, although very rare.
    Added new master password algorithm support is only needed if you have BIOS-level passwords.
    PSA diagnostic is ok, but you can download the full diagnostics from the Support site.
    Enhanced the method of specific smart card support only needed if you use a Smart Card to log into your system.

So, chances are you don't really need these updates ... if you do need any, then weigh them against your desire for the acoustic setting.

Also, a noisy drive may not be fixed with the acoustic setting - drive noise is often associated with a bad drive.  Have you tested your drive to see if it is faulty?

• I didn't fully test my drive, just quick test with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from WD. I'll do test tonight...

Report from HardDisk Sentinel:

Interface,S-ATA II
    Disk Controller,Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller (AHCI)
    Hard Disk Model ID,WDC WD1600AAJS-22WAA0
    Acoustic Management,Supported
    Acoustic Management,Disabled
    Current Acoustic Level,Max performance and volume (FEh)
    Recommended Acoustic Level,Min performance and volume (80h)

As you can see, acoustic mode is on Loud! I have an old one DELL Optiplex GX280SMT and i have acoustic settings in a BIOS. I've tried to change on Loud, and i think noise is almost similar to this in my Optiplex 755 (3 years old). Do you have suggestion for some other testing program?

• Dell diagnostics is the best way to test the drive/system.  If you replaced it aftermarket though with a Retail/generic drive, then the actual manufacturer's diagnostics are best.  I tried Mzx Performance Acoustics on my 330 and on my XPS Gen 4 at home ... I couldn't even tell a difference - audibly or performance-wise.

• So far so good after extended test with WD-Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.

• Everything is OK and after Dell diagnostics. Maybe because i never used my HD with Acoustic settings on Loud, now sounds to noisy to me :), or because this 755 case is on my desk and it's too close to me...i don't know. But i think everything it is fine so far...Thanks!

• Some drives are noisier than others too, and if you have always used the quiet setting, the new noise level may just take some getting used to.  You should be able to rest easier though knowing that the noise is not a sign of your drive dying.  Take care.