My dell downloads - service tag not supported?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

My dell downloads - service tag not supported?

This question has suggested answer(s)

On my newish (just over a month old) dell insiron N5030, a pop up comes up  and tells me I should go to My Dell Downloads to get a copy of the software it came with. My problem is that when I go on the link and try to scan for my service tag it says "Service tag is not supported", I would like to know how to fix it or if I can manually enter the service tag?

All Replies
  • In what country do you live?  In what country and at what store did you purchase your computer?

If you boot to the BIOS Setup (F2), does it list the Service Tag?

If you open a Command Prompt (Start, type in CMD, Enter) and type in WMIC BIOS GET SERIALNUMBER, does it return a Service Tag (serial number)?

You may consider a call to Tech Support to have them "fix" it with their "Tag" team if it somehow did not get processed properly when it was being built at the factory.

• OllySB

On my newish (just over a month old) dell insiron N5030, a pop up comes up  and tells me I should go to My Dell Downloads to get a copy of the software it came with. My problem is that when I go on the link and try to scan for my service tag it says "Service tag is not supported", I would like to know how to fix it or if I can manually enter the service tag?

It can take a while to get your service tag onto the system. It took me nearly 5 weeks. But if you run into problems, then dell will also use your customer number as well.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• The short answer is that your system's probably not eligible (even if it's brand new).

Here's the long version of the answer. I assume you went to the Dell website, logged into your 'My Account', and under the 'My Software' section followed the  'Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)'  link, which took you to the page headed 'My DELL Downloads Get software quickly without piles of packaging. Really. It's that easy.'? And when you clicked the 'Register' button it said 'Examining your computer please wait...' and then 'Service Tag is not supported'?

I've got exactly the same problem on both my laptops (an old out-of-warranty Inspiron 1501 with Win XP, and a new in-warranty Inspiron 15R with Win7).

When I log into my account on the Dell website both of my sytems show up under 'My Account' > 'My Products and Services' > 'View My Products and Services'.

I had originally assumed that this meant that I had registered them both

That seems logical, yes? Apparently not - registration for 'My Dell Downloads' appears to be completely different.

If you follow the  'Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)'  link to the page headed 'My DELL Downloads Get software quickly without piles of packaging. Really. It's that easy.' the answer's actually in the FAQ (link at the top right of the page.

The URL of the FAQ page is smartsource.dell.com/.../Faq.aspx.

Go to the very bottom of the FAQ page - under 'Application Error Messages', under 'SERVICE TAG NOT SUPPORTED' it says 'The system you are trying to register is not support by My Dell Downloads. Please read “Before You Begin” section to ensure the system you are wanting to register meets the requirements. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Dell Technical Support.'

Scroll back up to the top of the FAQ page to the 'Before You Begin' section - under 'HOW DO I KNOW IF MY SYSTEM IS ELIGIBLE FOR MY DELL DOWNLOADS?' it says 'If your system’s software is on My Dell Downloads, you will find two indicators:

A tech sheet included in the box along with your documentation informing you about My Dell Downloads

A Re-install Software icon appears on your desktop toolbar '

I assume that you have no such tech sheet, and you don't have the icon? (I don't) So it appears you're system's not eligible.

Contact Dell Technical Support, complain that the way you've been directed to My Dell Downloads is misleading, and ask them why your brand new system is not eligible.

P.S.#1: I have no idea whether the 'My Support' > 'Global Activation Portal (Check My Activation)' has anything to do with registering for 'My Dell Downloads'. It may be worth trying that first?

It asks for Email Address, Registration reference number ('Your Activation Reference Number can be found in your welcome email received when you registered for a connection'), and Zip Code.

I don't recall ever doing this - I have no ZIP code since I'm not in the US, but maybe you don't need it?

P.S.#2: I also sometimes got the following server error when I tried to register my old laptop:

Server Error in '/Web' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "Resources.UserMessages.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "App_GlobalResources.sojztsnp" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.

P.S.#3: I'm adding this answer to each thread where I find the question.

• I've seen a few other threads with this same question, and posted the previous reply to all of them. But it seems most of them had a piece of paper with their computer telling them to go to My Dell Downloads.

So that means that people who's computers ARE ELIGIBLE are being told they can't download.

• I have had this problem with my studio XPS 9100 ever since I got it.  I contacted support & they said they would fix the backend...  never happened.

WMIC BIOS GET SERIALNUMBER  does work...

SerialNumber

<ADMIN NOTE:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>