Windows Update failing in Windows 7

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows Update failing in Windows 7

This question is answered

Windows Update doesn't work on my new Latitude E5400, which is running Windows 7.
The Windows Update control panel fails with "unknown error" 80072EE2.
The Microsoft help for that error just says the obvious try again later and check your firewall:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80072ee2
I've tried several times over the past week. I disabled Norton and that did not make any difference.
If I try to go to Windows Update on the Web with Internet Explorer, it takes me to this URL:
http://test.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx
That fails to load, instead I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."
Windows Update works fine with the three other PCs on this network (though they are all running XP).
This PC has no Internet connectivity issues with any other site.

Verified Answer
  • Microsoft support had me do the following, which seems to have solved the problem. Presumably there are some inappropriate policies set in the drive image Dell used to install Windows 7.

Remove Group Policy

================

Before we proceed, please backup the Registry.

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

2. Locate the following key in the left pane:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

3. Highlight “Microsoft” folder and click "Delete".

4. Please repeat to delete the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Note: If some keys do not exist, please ignore them.

5. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists. 

All Replies
  • LoginBroken

Windows Update doesn't work on my new Latitude E5400, which is running Windows 7.
    The Windows Update control panel fails with "unknown error" 80072EE2.
    The Microsoft help for that error just says the obvious try again later and check your firewall:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80072ee2
    I've tried several times over the past week. I disabled Norton and that did not make any difference.
    If I try to go to Windows Update on the Web with Internet Explorer, it takes me to this URL:
    http://test.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx
    That fails to load, instead I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."
    Windows Update works fine with the three other PCs on this network (though they are all running XP).
    This PC has no Internet connectivity issues with any other site.

I am having the same problem on my new Dell Inspiron 15R. Moderators, do you have a suggestion? Thanks!

• If you have Norton, is your subscription expired? Have seen the expired virus program disable your connection.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Still got the error, but the manual "Check online ..." link worked for me today (previously couldn't find the server), so maybe MS fixed something on their end.

Norton was not expired. I called them first.

• Try powering down your isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any) wait 30 seconds.. Power on the ISP modem/router, wait 15 seconds, then turn on the wireless router(if any)

Restart your computer.

What happens?

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Hi,

On Jan 28, I purchased a refurbed Dell Studio 1558 running Win 7 Premium and I am having the same problem.  Windows Update gives error code 80072EE2.  I have tried everything suggested online to no avail.  I can get the updates if I click on the link "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update".  I have also seen 2 other posts on the Microsoft  forums from the last month with this same problem with new Dells.

See the last post on the first link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/f2b5ad39-f9eb-42ac-a4af-b976ce0cedb2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1abb6e5f-dcf1-4bcf-bdb9-fd9e15ac12ae

•  Bluedawg13,

The refurbed computer, do you know if it came with Windows 7 or was another operating system on it before Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)?

Did you try running Fix Windows Update errors

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Same problem for me with a refurbed Inspiron 15R, Windows 7 OS, purchased in January. Tried running the Troubleshooter 3 times to fix windows update errors (still wouldn't update automatically), and then went online with a Dell tech yesterday. Allowed them to work on the computer directly, and got permanently disconnected after they made a couple of system changes with subsequent reboots. Lappy couldn't automatically reconnect wirelessly, and by the time I was able to connect with a DSL line the connection had timed out. This is totally unsatisfactory, and I am close to returning the laptop if this can't be fixed soon.

• Microsoft support had me do the following, which seems to have solved the problem. Presumably there are some inappropriate policies set in the drive image Dell used to install Windows 7.

Remove Group Policy

================

Before we proceed, please backup the Registry.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

2. Locate the following key in the left pane:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

3. Highlight “Microsoft” folder and click "Delete".

4. Please repeat to delete the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Note: If some keys do not exist, please ignore them.

5. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists. 

• I just applied this recommended procedure ... and it worked!! Thanks for the info. Too bad we couldn't have received the same info from Dell.

• The registry deletions fixed it for me also.  Thanks!

• thanks for posting this.  Searched widely and couldn't find anything else that worked on my recently bought refurb e6410; applied your steps and now Windows 7 updates as it should.

• Hurray! This works. Hope nuthin' is broke because of it.

"A word to the wise in infuriating!"

- HST

• Like, like, like, like, like!

When I got my refurb Studio 17 a couple of months ago, Dell's site didn't show any search results for this error, and MS told me to reboot.

This worked perfectly, thanks!

• Just as a side note, I followed the Windows Update 'Troubleshooter' which is available after the error and each time it claimed to have fixed the problem, but didn't.  In the "Troubleshooting Report" detail, my system was shown to be an "amd64" when it's actually an Intel based machine.

Edit: 4/9/11: Nothin' seems broke.

"A word to the wise in infuriating!"

- HST

• If it's a new 64-bit, it's a amd64.  The ia64 was the early 64-bit.

Bill