Forums

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate

This question is not answered

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 which ships with Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate, of which I own the full retail version, mainly to get rid of all the crapware.. Is it possible to do this and reinstall PowereDVD so that I can have Bluray playback? I can't find a link for downloading PowerDVD on Dell's support site nor can I find a serial number in my documentation.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • I suggest you contact dell directly and ask for any missing programme discs.

• ynnek1963

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 which ships with Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate, of which I own the full retail version, mainly to get rid of all the crapware.. Is it possible to do this and reinstall PowereDVD so that I can have Bluray playback? I can't find a link for downloading PowerDVD on Dell's support site nor can I find a serial number in my documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Dell never gave me any disc's for non dell software when I bought mine. What you have to do, is go to My Dell Downloads, and download it from there. But be warned, you can only do that 3 times for each software you download.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Thanks for your reply. Everything BUT PowerDVD shows up in My Dell Downloads. Is there a way to use my recovery DVDs to recovery individual programs without actually recovering the who system?

• You will not find the "full version" of powerdvd to download on the dell site.

If you are still in warranty then call them and ask for the install cd.

• I would try a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" before I would do a clean install. As for bloat ware remove any programs you do not want through "Add Remove Programs". The "Windows Anytime Upgrade" will leave all programs currently installed intact and functional. 

Open Control Panel.

Expand to "All Control Panel Items".

Select "Windows Anytime Upgrade".

Follow instruction for "I have a Number".

Input the COA number for the Ultimate disc you have.

All units that I have tried upgrading with a full version COA have been successful.