How do I find my windows 7 cd key?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

How do I find my windows 7 cd key?

This question has been answered by RobinBredin

I have a dell PC (inspiron 580s)

how do I find the cd key for the windows pre-installed on my PC.

If I want to install windows 7 from some other DVD then can I use this cd key.

Verified Answer
  • Hi, Your product key is on a blue sticker, stuck to your system case, and as Jessie L said, your Data Safe software is installed on your system, to make your backup. I have a 570, and every now and then I get a prompt from Data Safe wanting to know if I want to backup, you should get the same. Also, it give you the option to make a set of disc's.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

All Replies
  • sumanadep,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Dell windows 7 keycode should be on the computer or maybe look on the envelope the disc came in.. You could not use the key on another copy of Windows 7.

Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• so how do I re-install windows7 on my PC if I want to do so in future?

• sumanadep,

When you received your system there is a program called Datasafe on the desktop. This program is for making the backup disks for your system. Did you not make these disk?

Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• no I have not made that disk. How do I do it now?

I only want the original (factory) software in my backup disk.

• Hi, Your product key is on a blue sticker, stuck to your system case, and as Jessie L said, your Data Safe software is installed on your system, to make your backup. I have a 570, and every now and then I get a prompt from Data Safe wanting to know if I want to backup, you should get the same. Also, it give you the option to make a set of disc's.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• I lost my Dell OS cd. The microsoft label in my laptop also damaged. I also formatted my system . How can i find my window Product Key. I didnot get any proper reponse from customer care. They said due to security reason they are not maintaining the product key. I am not begging i paid money for original OS. i am helpless . 

Service Tag removed per privacy policy by PY.

• Sidiq Mohamed

I lost my Dell OS cd. The microsoft label in my laptop also damaged. I also formatted my system . How can i find my window Product Key. I didnot get any proper reponse from customer care. They said due to security reason they are not maintaining the product key. I am not begging i paid money for original OS. i am helpless . 

Service Tag removed per privacy policy by PY.

See the instructions and tutorial video here:

Dell Windows 7 OEM uses BIOS System Locked Preinstallation for product activation so you do not need the 25 digit key on your COA.

More details are given here on clean installation:

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.