Dell Studio XPS 1645 - how to recover from recovery partition after system reinstallation ?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell Studio XPS 1645 - how to recover from recovery partition after system reinstallation ?

This question is not answered

Hello.

I have a little problem with getting access to recovery partition after reinstalling system (Win 7 from Dell DVD included with a notebook).

I was trying pressing F8 during startup but it didn't helped and I was trying recover system with included DVD Operating System but it can't find a recovery partition.

Now I have 4 partitions:

1. BOOT (no access form Win because of no driver letter asigned)

2. RECOVERY (as above)

3. C: - SYSTEM - 50 GB

4. D: - Multimedia - 400 GB

Is there any way to get access to recovery partition and restore factory dell installation of Windows?

THX for help.

All Replies
  • thejajo,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Once customers upgrade their OS from Win Vista to Win 7, their system restore will not work due to PBR corruption.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975321/

You can try this workaround to see if you can get the restore partition to work.

For 32-bit installs:

1.       Hit F8 on startup, select 'Repair'

2.       Start a command prompt.

3.       Change to the D: drive.

4.       Set the path to 'Path=d:\windows\system32

5.       Go to the d:\tools directory

6.       Run PCRestore

7.       Follow the prompts to restore the image.

Same steps could be performed by WinRE by booting to OS media. If booting to the OS media doesn’t fix this issue, in addition to above commands you could also try ‘bootrec /RebuildBCD’ command.

NOTE: Above steps have had some results in 32-Bit OS. Not quite sure if this would work on 64.Bit OS.

#iwork4Dell

• Well, I tryed F8 key but after selecting repair it's prompt me to reinstall the system. F8 key doesn't work in my case.

The main problem is that I lost access to RECOVERY and BOOT partition to recover the system after clean reinstalation of the system.

Is there a way to get access to BOOT and/or RECOVERY partiton by adding the right path to boot manager or any other way?

• Well I'm confused. Will the system boot from the hard drive at all? When you say a "clean install" did you format the drive? The recovery from the "recovery patition" should be used instead of using a disc to reinstall the OS. I have read hundreds of posts here over the last few months and the short answer is that an install from disc destroys the recovery partition.

What was the original OS? 32 or 64 bit? At this point you might be better off starting from scratch: reformat and install a legal copy of an OS. You mentioned that you used a disc from "a notebook" was it for the notebook system in question? Most of the time the activation key is embedded in the machine. A disk from a different might pose problems.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• The notebook has included 3 DVDs - one with Original Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, second with Creative FX Software and last is Resource CD probably witch dirvers.

I thought that the DVD with OS is a recovery DVD but I was wrong and installed clean copy from this DVD on third partition. First one is named BOOT and the second - RECOVERY.

After installing Win 7 I found driver and now everything is fine, I think, and I shrinked a partition with OS. Now I have 4 partition - 1. BOOT, 2. RECOVEY (both with no drive letters), 3. OS and 4. for Multimedia.

In the beginning there was preinstalled Win 7 Home Premium x64 EN, now I have Win 7 Home Premium x64 PL (I'm Polish ;).

I was thinking there is a way to tray recover the factory OS from RECOVERY partition by maybe adding right path to the bootloader but probably I can remove 1. and 2. partition because I can't use them any more, I think.

Everything is legal and preinstaled from DVDs insluded with notebook and software from dell site.

• i got same problem with my studio xps 1645. i reinstalled win 7 ultimate from dvd from dell. i am trying to get factory image from the recovery partition.but i dont know how towork on the recovery partition which has 39gb.can anybody tell me how to work out with recovery partition

thanks

• hej,

takze mam XPSa 1645 i wiem jak uzyskac dostep do tego pliku i partycji oraz jak przywrocic fabryczny stan laptopa z tego pliku, nawet z wykorzystaniem innych zewnetrznych programow. Jezeli ktos jeszcze jest tym zainteresowany, to czekam na odp.

Pozdrawiam :)

• Hej luki83 Mam tego samego typu problem (co prawda na alienware m14,ale zasada pewnie ta sama) więc będę wdzięczny za pomoc w uporaniu się z powrotem do stanu fabrycznego laptopa.

Z góry dzięki.

• Hej luki83 Mam tego samego typu problem (co prawda na alienware m14,ale zasada pewnie ta sama) więc będę wdzięczny za pomoc w uporaniu się z powrotem do stanu fabrycznego laptopa.

Z góry dzięki.

• If you re-installed from a disc I assume you reformatted the drive. If that is the case the recovery partition no longer exists. So the short answer is you don't.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.