Windows 7 64-bit problem on Dell Studio 1555

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows 7 64-bit problem on Dell Studio 1555

This question is not answered

I just bought my new laptop, Dell Studio 1555 (Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB RAM, ATI HD4570, 500GB).

At first i installed Windows 7 64-bit operating system but there was a problem with system explorer.
It was collapsing and restarting all over again, from time to time, without any logical time periods.
And the system was also unstable, a lot of problems with Mozilla FireFox, slow computer response.

Yesterday a installed Windows XP 32-bit operating system and for now it works fine. I know that
now i can use only 3GB of RAM but i need fast and stable computer (which was not with Win7 64-bit OS).

And now i'm wondering where's the problem. With operating system or my brand new computer?
Because i installed all the necessarily drivers from support page and all the updates for Windows but
computer didn't work ok. Btw, why there is not any driver supported for Windows 7 32-bit system?

And one more thing.. At first i've got BIOS A07 version. I thought that it might help (for better computer performance)
to update bios to A09 (last) version and than my DVD eject button stopped working. I tryed with version A08 and still
wasn't working so i went back to A07 and now it works again. And my DVD unit firmware is last.

Sorry for bad english and greetings from Slovenia!

Luka

All Replies
  • Welcome to the forums Luka Yes

I'm assuming Vista was installed on the laptop originally? 

I obviously can't tell how long you've had the laptop, but "just bought" suggests it was fairly recently.  Was it not offered with Windows 7 instead of Vista?

But... if it had Vista pre-installed... why have you gone back to XP, instead of reinstalling Vista????

Speaking of reinstalling:  Do you not still have the 'Recovery' partition, or did you reformat the hard drive, and do a fresh install of Windows 7/XP?

If you still have the recovery partition, you should consider doing a restore:  Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings.

TheLUXY

And now i'm wondering where's the problem. With operating system or my brand new computer?

Which of the two is causing the problem, is very hard to determine, but a system/laptop with specs such as yours, shouldn't have any problems running Windows 7?

Many of us on the forums are using Windows 7 - on older systems/laptops than yours, without problems.

Re the BIOS update:  I'm surprised Dell hadn't updated the BIOS to the latest version, prior to shipping the laptop Surprise Hmm

PS:  Your command of English is very good indeed Smile

I know quite a few people whose native tongue is English, who could do with taking a leaf out of your book Big Smile

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• I bought a computer without any operating system on it, only with free DOS so.. Wink

I think there was something wrong with Windows 7 (64-bit, professional) because
    with Windows XP computer works great.. Anyway, i'm still wondering what to do
    beacuse i think that i could get more from computer with Win7 instead the old XP.

I also read a lot about the same problems with Win7 on different forums on the internet
    and all i get was that Microsoft just didn't fix this problem with explorer crashes.
    So, i'm planning to stay on XP for a few more months (years?) and wait that they fix all the
    problems.. Because it was the same when Win XP came out.. There was also a lot of
    bugs in the beginning but for now for me only XP is stable and works fine.
    I'm really disappointed about Microsoft because i don't want and i don't have time to install
    and test operating systems for them. Angry

About the BIOS... I don't really care if computer didn't came with last version of bios but it's strange
    that with version A08 and A09 (last) eject button just don't work.
    And if it works with A07 for sure is problem with bios, right? Smile

• TheLUXY

And if it works with A07 for sure is problem with bios, right?

That would be my assumption too - yes Wink

That said... I'm sure there will be plenty of other Studio 1555 owners (with the same spec as yours) who have successfully updated to the A09 BIOS without any problems, so it's not cut and dried that the new BIOS is the sole cause of the problem?

Computers eh.  Don't you just love 'em (NOT!) Big Smile

XPS M1730:

8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Integrated 2MP Webcam

• So what do you recommend? That i use my warranty and return computer to the vendor only because that my eject button don't work with BIOS version A08 and A09? Wink

About the OS..

I'm planning to install Win7 32 bit when i will have some time but which drivers should i use? From Vista 32-bit or Win7 64-bit? Because drivers for Win7 32-bit are not available (as i can see on drivers page).

• TheLUXY

So what do you recommend?

That i use my warranty and return computer to the vendor only because that my eject button don't work with BIOS version A08 and A09?

Heck no!  Just stick with the older A07 BIOS Wink

TheLUXY

... drivers for Win7 32-bit are not available... which drivers should i use? From Vista 32-bit or Win7 64-bit?

I'd personally be trying the Windows 7 64bit drivers first I reckon Idea

But Vista drivers have worked for many forum members, for a number of different components which Windows 7 didn't install default drivers for.

So it's a tough call really. 

If you have plenty of storage capacity somewhere though - i.e. on an external hard drive, you could download both sets of drivers!

Time consuming I know, but at least you'll be prepared for any eventuality Yes

XPS M1730:

8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Integrated 2MP Webcam

• Hi Luka

I can confirm the same bug in bios A08. When I have that bios installed with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate the eject button does not work, but going back to A07 it does work.

• Did you also had the problem with collapsing and restarting of windows explorer in Win7 64-bit OS?

• No. I have not had any issues with the OS. The eject issue maybe be for all OS's since it is a BIOS issue. I doubt it would only affect one OS as the eject button should work even before the OS has booted up.

• I had my Studio 1555 shipped (or rather bought at a local shop) with the A07 BIOS as well, which didn't have any issues regarding the eject button not working in either Vista or Win7 (both 64-bit).

Upgrading to A08 kinda killed it and was starting to drive me nuts ... until I installed QuickSet. Yeah, I know, should've probably had it installed in the first place, but it's just one of those silly issues that eventually sort themselves out if you poke at them long enough. ^^

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but try by either installing or reinstalling QuickSet, and make sure you have the latest version available from the Support Downloads section.

• Hi, I have the exact same problem with the eject key. I will try installing QuickSet on Win7, however I don't think it is The Solution for users of other operating systems like me, the key is pretty dead (and was working fine with A07) on Gentoo.

• Finally! I sent my laptop back to my dealer and they gave new motherboard, cpu, ram and disk. Today i installed a fresh copy of Win7 32-bit and for now computer works great. 

Btw, at first my dvd eject button still was not working until i installed "quick set" from dell support page and now works fine. And just for information, i have A08 (currently last) BIOS version.