Uninstall company installed windows 7 from dell in dell studio 1555 and installing fresh XP Pro SP2.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Uninstall company installed windows 7 from dell in dell studio 1555 and installing fresh XP Pro SP2.

This question is answered

Normal 0 false false false EN-IN X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I have studio 1555 with company installed windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.Now i want to uninstall win 7 and install fresh Win XP Pro (no need any other OS including win 7).

When I try to install XP Pro with the bootable cd(32 bit) first it loads installation  files but on starting installation it shows BLUE SCREEN ERROR ask me to restart the system and do scan disk.

The Error is:"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.....
Technical Details of error:0x0000007B(0xF78D2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

My system Detail:

Dell Studio 1555,core 2 duo T6600,320 Gb SATA HD,3 GB RAM

Kindly help me...

Verified Answer
  • You probably have to run BIOS setup (reboot and press F2). Look for the SATA controller option  (maybe it's called "Drive Controller" options) and change it to RAID Autodetect/ATA. I don't see BIOS screens in the online manual, so I can't give you the exact wording of the option. Save the change and exit setup.

When you boot from the XP CD and start the Windows installation, you should be offered an option to reformat the hard drive. If you boot from the hard drive, you'll probably end up with both Win7 and XP on the drive, which isn't what you want.

You'll also need to install all the right XP-compatible drivers for your hardware after installing XP, starting with System Software (System Utilities), followed by the chipset driver(s), then video, audio, network, etc...

If your XP CD is only SP2, after you install the drivers, you'll have to download SP3 from Microsoft (free) and install it, plus all the recent updates. Otherwise your system will be wide open to all kinds of malware. Wink

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

All Replies
  • atedisn,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

When you boot to the XP disk and it starts loading there should be an option at the botton of one of the setup screens to choose "Format"

You will need to choose this option. You are trying to install XP over Win7. You first need to format to wipe the HD clean and start installing a fresh copy of Win XP.

#iwork4Dell

• Thank  you for your concern brother,

Before getting those setup option screen (selecting the partition to install,formatting,..) I got 0x7B error message.

Kindly tell me how  to  format  HD   having windows 7.

Im having only one partition C:/ and free unallocated space.

• You probably have to run BIOS setup (reboot and press F2). Look for the SATA controller option  (maybe it's called "Drive Controller" options) and change it to RAID Autodetect/ATA. I don't see BIOS screens in the online manual, so I can't give you the exact wording of the option. Save the change and exit setup.

When you boot from the XP CD and start the Windows installation, you should be offered an option to reformat the hard drive. If you boot from the hard drive, you'll probably end up with both Win7 and XP on the drive, which isn't what you want.

You'll also need to install all the right XP-compatible drivers for your hardware after installing XP, starting with System Software (System Utilities), followed by the chipset driver(s), then video, audio, network, etc...

If your XP CD is only SP2, after you install the drivers, you'll have to download SP3 from Microsoft (free) and install it, plus all the recent updates. Otherwise your system will be wide open to all kinds of malware. Wink

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hey.  I was having the same issue as the original poster on an Inspiron 1545 laptop.  I tried installing XP and it didn't work, I reformatted the C: and then tried installing and it didn't work.  I took out the laptop harddrive, set it up as a slave drive on my desktop, repartitioned the drive to remove the "Recovery" partition, reformatted the whole drive again, installed Windows XP and booted the drive up as master on the desktop and it did work!  However!  When I put the drive back into the laptop I got the aforementioned error again.  I tried this with Windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP3 and all gave me the same result.

NEXT I CONTACTED DELL TECHNICAL SUPPORT... Result?  Nothing.  They told me at first that I had to buy "Downgrade Rights" to use anything other than Windows 7, which seems to me akin to a Ford dealership selling you Taurus and when it breaks down on the freeway telling you "You didn't buy freeway rights."  So next they sent me to the "Solution Station" which as far as I can tell is a euphamism for "Technical Support that goes beyond simply telling you to restart and also costs $130".  So after much annoyance and frustration I was ready to just return the machine.  Guess what though?  When I called the return hotline their system was down.  Surprise?  If they have to call the same Tech Support I did, it'll probably be down for weeks to come.

PAYOFF:  I found this post.  RoHe's suggestion worked brilliantly.  The computer boots fine now.  You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.  Thank you very much for the support that Dell refused to offer its customers.

Now, just so this won't be an entirely complaint-ridden post, I'll give you the exact wording of what I did since RoHe didn't have it at his disposal for his post.  After hitting F2 and reaching the setup screen, I opened the System Configuration tree and then the SATA Operation option.  It gives you three options: Disabled, ATA, AHCI.  Switch from AHCI to ATA.  Takes about a minute and a half.

Again, thank you, RoHe.  Dell, you've lost a five-time repeat customer.  Its the first time in ten years of buying from Dell that I've requested the assistance of your Technical Support and you rewarded my loyalty by trying to swindle me out of $130 for two minutes of your employee's time.