Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 on a Vostro 1000 Laptop.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 on a Vostro 1000 Laptop.

This question is answered

I recently ordered Windows 7 from the Microsoft Website. I think it will come in November 1st, so hopefully I have plenty of time to get this solved. Okay here's the problem. I currently have Windows XP Home Edition on my Vostro, and want to upgrade it. Before that I will back all my files up. But I have programs I paid for, such as McAfee, Tune-Up, Active@ Password Changer, and some others. Also, my Dell came with Dell Touchpad, QuickSet, Dell Wireless Network Configurer, and drivers such as my wireless built-in card, touchpad and scroll wheel on the left and bottom, and some others. What I'm hoping to do is take my laptop in to my dad's friend company HL Computers. I think I can upgrade my RAM, hard drive, and other techy stuff to be able to run Windows 7. (I currently have only 896 MB of RAM, 1.70 GHz [No idea if that able to be upgraded], and 111 GB of Hard Disk space total.) If I get my RAM, hard disk, and all the other techy stuff upgraded and I upgrade my OS, how will I restore all the Dell Drivers, paid programs, and the built in Dell Programs such as Dell Wireless? Will the HL Computer place do that for me? Or do I have to unregister all my paid programs and stuff? I really need help and soon please! If you need my e-mail its <ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

Verified Answer
  • ChaddM
    so if I uninstall them and install them back, will it allow me? Like if I re-register them with the codes I have lying around, will they register?

Hi ChaddM, If you uninstall them, from a system and want to install them back on the same system, thats ok. The same goes for software you register, you can reinstall it on the same system.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

All Replies
  • ChaddM
    how will I restore all the Dell Drivers, paid programs, and the built in Dell Programs such as Dell Wireless? Will the HL Computer place do that for me? Or do I have to unregister all my paid programs and stuff? I really need help and soon please! If you need my e-mail its

Hi ChaddM, When you got the system you should have got the reinstall cd's for your drivers and other software. What you can do, is restore all your drivers and 3rd party software yourself, in fact, you can upgrade your OP yourself, it will save you money.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Thanks so much. I forgot about the Dell Drivers and Products Reinstall CD. I have that on my desk now, but now how will I restore other programs such as McAfee, Tune-Up, and the others? McAfee and Tune-Up have a 3 user register thing and are both installed on three systems, so if I uninstall them and install them back, will it allow me? Like if I re-register them with the codes I have lying around, will they register?

• ChaddM
    so if I uninstall them and install them back, will it allow me? Like if I re-register them with the codes I have lying around, will they register?

Hi ChaddM, If you uninstall them, from a system and want to install them back on the same system, thats ok. The same goes for software you register, you can reinstall it on the same system.

• So in other words you're saying when I un-install registered programs and applications, they automatically un-register? So then later I can easily just reinstall them and use the register codes and stuff? I am just making sure because I do not want to lose these expensive programs.

• ChaddM

So in other words you're saying when I un-install registered programs and applications, they automatically un-register? So then later I can easily just reinstall them and use the register codes and stuff? I am just making sure because I do not want to lose these expensive programs.

Hi ChaddM, Yes that is right.

• thanks so much!

• windows 7 comes with most drivers already and it doen't you can use  vista drivers they work with windows 7 and use compatibility seyttings to run older programs