Forums

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

how too undo the .zip file extension association with Windows Media Player

This question is not answered

My wife accidently chose to open .zip files "always" with WMP. How do we undo this?

Seems only thing we can do is "change" the program that opens zip files. We just wnt to undo this association. All zip files come over to her laptap with media player icons and we can't oopen the zip folders to extract.

Do we need to go through regedit? We tried Control Panel / Default Programs / Set Associations, but there we can only change the open-with program. 

This laptap is a the 2. Dell Latitude D620 running Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit below.

Thanks in advance.

El Marco
1. Latitude D610, Pentium M760, 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP3, Office 2003 SBE
2. Latitude D620, Core 2 Duo, 1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Win Vitsa Home SP1, Office 2007 Basic Ed
Dell 2350 Router
Dell 1700n Printer

All Replies
  • markjohnson,

If this just happened, then use system restore and go back to the first restore point before this happened.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• This is not a new prob. just getting arround to dealing with it. However, we remember trying sys restore a day or 2 after and no go. Any other ideas?

El Marco
    1. Latitude D610, Pentium M760, 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP3, Office 2003 SBE
    2. Latitude D620, Core 2 Duo, 1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Win Vitsa Home SP1, Office 2007 Basic Ed
    Dell 2350 Router
    Dell 1700n Printer

• markjohnson,

I can help you change it but I don't know about changing it back to they way it was.

First try right clicking on the file, then open with, select a program from the list. Then try using Internet Explorer and check the box to alway open this type of file using this program.

If that doesn't work then...

Download 7-Zip and install it. Then right click on the zip folder, open with, then select 7zip and also check the box, always open these types of files with this program. Then it will always open with 7zip.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have created a system restore point. What do you think this proposal? ...

delete this entry in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\FileExts\.zip

(type "regedit" in the run box; if you don't see run in the start menu, right click the start menu icon>properties>startmenu>
    customize
    scroll down to run command, and tick the box)

That should set the zip file association back to the system default.

El Marco
    Dell 2350 Router
    Dell 1700n Printer