Forums

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

XPS 400 - System Restore Help request

• I have an XPS400, 3 years old (and out of warranty 1 year).  I have been have a lot of issues and after conferring with a few people they suggested that I reload the operating system.  I discovered that I didn't have, nor never received the operating system CD, so I contacted Dell and they kindly forwarded the disks to me.  My problem is that I can't load the operating system, I (the guy that's doing this for me) keeps getting stuck because it seems that we need to perform a system restore, yet we have not figured out how to do this.  My guy doing looked on the Internet and read that if it's an XPS it's a computer made for gaming and therefore has no restore functionality, or if it does we can't figure it out.  I'm prepared to risk losing all my data to get this computer working properly again.  Does anyone have some step by step solutions they can share?  Thank you.

• rick_rosen

You can find the instructions for restoring the Software to it's original configuration HERE.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hello rick_rosen, Just performed this for someone the other night over the phone. He was using Windows XP.

Boot the system, and immediately when the Blue WWW.DELL.COM bar appears on the top of the screen, press the ctrl and F11 at the same time and you will enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.

Be sure to back up any files that you may need later, because the drive will be formated and all data will be lost.

Just follow the onscreen instructions. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and the system will be as it was when shipped.

You will need to enter all the information requested, and be back at the desktop in less that 15 minutes.

The person I helped with this advised his system was taking about 3 minutes to boot and after the Restore, now boots to the desktop in about 45 seconds.

Hope this helps. 

• Thank you everyone for your help. I guess it was a finger/speed/coordination problem we were having with the ctrl F11 buttons.  It's restored now.

Second question just came up though...I'm converting this computer (was at my home) to an office computer, and I have Windows XP Media Center as the operating system.  I want to join this computer to my office network which is Exhange 2000 Server.  Do I have to upgrade XP Media Center to XP Pro to do this, or is there a way to use the XP Media Center to join to my office network?

• Thread locked due to age. If you have a similar problem, please start a new post. 

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• 12-1-2013 post by TheJoker12U has been moved to Desktop forum for more expert assistance.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19534578.aspx

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.