Factory Image Restore

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Factory Image Restore

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all,

After LOADS of problems with my harddisk, partitions etcetera I decided to reset my laptop to Factory Settings. When trying so ( Dell Factory Image Restore , System Recovery Options) it gives me a BLANK error.
Please, how to reset to Factory Settings with this error??

Greets,

LucasvdM

All Replies
  • ArmandStanger,

I have used the factory image manual restoration procedure on Dell Dimensions and Inspirons, eMachines, IBM/Lenovo, and Gateway.  I haven't quite figured out how the HP/Compaq factory image is arranged so I'm still experimenting with those machines.  It appears HP/Compaq uses a sequential image restore procedure.  That is, the MBR is restored first and then the other parts of the image are added.  I'll have to study the command line syntax of imagex a little more.

I'm sure there are many who say, "Why bother with restoring the factory image when you can just do a clean install of Vista?"  The answer is simple.  Factory images contain device drivers and application software such as PowerDVD, Microsoft Works, Symantec Ghost, and other applications that can either take a lot of time to download or cost some serious money to purchase separately.  In many instances, my clients have not created their System Recovery CDs or DVDs.  Many manufacturers charge for calls to technical support, including those to order replacement discs.

I'm sure there is probably a way to utilize imagex to restore Dell's proprietary MBR and leave the current OS intact.  Lenovo has such a utility. Gatewayand eMachines also have a utility to enable/disable the F11 System Restore prompt in the MBR at bootup.  Maybe I need to contact Dan Goodell about this.  He could probably disassemble that code and construct a Vista Factory Image utility similar to his DSRFIX for Dell's PC Restore partition.

Tony

• Well I tried your steps TG.  I got all the way to the end but when I hit enter after imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\ I get a message telling my that I don't have the proper rights.  But I AM in the administrator's group.  I am running this in a cmd window from Vista Ultimate on a Inspiron 1525.

I tried to boot into safe mode with the cmd prompt only, but it hangs on the post.  Probably because of my usb drive (which is my 30gig ipod), because when I unhook it, it boots fine.

Any Ideas?

btw - the reason I'm in this predicament is because I wiped out the pre-installed factory OS os vista premium and installed vista ultimate.  Now I want to factory reset to premium and 'upgrade' to ultimate, keeping all of the correct drivers and programs.

• Ronatola,

When you opened the Command prompt, did you "Run as Administrator" or just "Open" it?  Try opening the Command prompt with the "Run as Administrator" first.  If you're denied access because you don't have the proper rights, you can try enabling the Administrator account as described here:  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Login as the Administrator and see if you're still told that you don't have the proper rights.  Vista's security is so much tighter than XP, I usually use a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD (www.ubcd4win.com) to boot the system and shell to a command prompt from there.

Normally, we use the IMAGEX method when we don't have a Vista DVD.  Since you have a Vista Ultimate DVD, you could try running the PC Restore manually as described here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=298A2E89689E13C2E040A68F5B280AA4&doclang=en&cs#2

Let us know how you fare.

Tony

• I didn't run the shel 'as admin' - I forgot to do that :/

Also, I made a current acronis backup of my 'ultimate' install and it is located in a new partition on the hdd.  Will that be unusable once I run waik?

Maybe I should dump the acronis image to dvd 1st and then delete the hidden acronis backup recovery partition before running waik.

• UPDATE: I deleted the acronis partition and image just to simplify things.  I then expanded the dell recover partition (d:\) and created a backup of my current system using acronis and dumped it there.

I had the tools on my ipod and launched them from within a windows cmd shell (run as admin).  It got to 1% and then chocked on c:\backup\bcd (or something like that, can't remember) said it was in use.  So I then booted with the vista ultimate dvd and selected 'recovery->windows complete pc restore'.  But it couldn't find, nor would it allow me to browse to d:\dell\image.  So I tried the 'recovery->command prompt' then i plugged in my ipod and it let me cd to it as the f:\ drive.  I then confirmed that i could also access the d:\dell\image drive.  Then I ran your imagex command line and away it went.  It completed at 100% then I rebooted.

It resulted in an endless boot loop! arghh.

Then I rebooted with my Vista DVD and repaired.  It did indeed find that the startup was messed up and offered to fix it.  I let it - rebooted and am now at the Factory default Vista Home Premium login screen.

Now I'm going to UPGRADE (not fresh install) to Ultimate.

Thx for all your help TG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ronatola,

You're welcome.  Glad you're up and going again with the original factory configuration.  Sometimes, it takes jumping through a few hoops to get the job done.  Glad you stuck with it.  Since you will be doing an upgrade of the OS rather than a clean install, the Factory Image should remain available now that the Master Boot Record has been restored to Dell's proprietary MBR.

Enjoy!

Tony

• Hi Tony,

I really want to do this to my wife's new XPS M1330 computer (she is waiting for it until X-Mas) and I deleted too much stuff. I did this because I got her a 64GB SSD and it's pretty small after installing office.

I had deleted the factory image (had it all copied to another computer first).

I still have the 10g D: space available and tried to do the imagex command from a command prompt but it gave me an error at

Progress: 1%

[Error: 32] c:\Boot\BCD. [ResourceExtractToFileByStruct: >seq.60> -> createFile failed]

[Error: 32] c:\Boot\BCD. [ResourceExtractToFileByStruct: >seq.50> -> Uncompress or WimCopyFileEx failed]

Error restoring image. 

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Thank you for this, it's really appreciated,

Franz

Do you have any advice?

• Franz,

Is this the command that your're using?

imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

Please explain how you got to the command prompt?

Tony

• Yes, that's the command. I got to the command prompt from inside Vista, as an admin. It didn't work. 

Well, I was just now able to get it to go by using the Dell installation (Vista Home Premium) disk as a boot disk and getting to the command prompt from there. It all worked great then. I apologize, I thought I had posted that but I was waiting to make sure it worked. It did, everything is great, big kudos to you Tony, thank you very much. I am really glad to have the factory restore option available.

I guess the main reason I was worried was something that even going back to square 1 didn't fix, it must be a dell bug. When you restore default settings for the power plan you lose all power management options. I will look into this further elsewhere.

• Franz,

I've done the manual restoration by shelling to the command prompt from within Vista.  If I remember correctly, when you type CMD in the Search box,  you then click right on the CMD and "Run as Administrator".

Normally, if I don't have a Vista DVD,  I just boot on a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD and shell to the command prompt to run the manual restoration of the factory image.

Glad you figured it out.

Tony

• LucasvdM

Hi Hanspuppa, tgsmith, ArmandStranger, thanks a lot for all your replies.

I'm not home for the next two days, so won't be able to check any of your solutions.

I have an XP disc at home, so I can try Hanspuppa's solution. Also I have a fast internet connection so if that will not work I can try gsmith's.
    ArmandStranger, I'm not exactly sure what you mean? =)

Greets,
    LucasvdM

WHOA!  Before you go about deleting stuff, see if you still have just one file....Factory.wim.  It should be at D:\RECOVERY\Dell\Image\Factory.wim.  If you have changed partitions or even deleted it, you can still try looking for it elsewhere or try using a deleted-file recovery (shareware) utility.  It certainly would be worth the try.

If you have that one file (probably around 3+ GB for your 1525), you can get everything back like it came from the factory.  Check out my post from today for more details:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19244863.aspx

By the way, F8 is used for the Recovery Environment in Vista, not F11 nor <ctrl>F11.

Let me know if its not too late.

Tom

Edit: I guess I replied to LucasvdM (who hasn't posted since 11/20/08) before seeing the other helpful information.  Sorry about that.

Tom

XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500 GB, WIndows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS 420, Q6700, 8GB G.Skill 1.9v, OCZ Vertex 30GB x2 (RAID0), Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS M1330, 2.4 GHz, 4GB, 60 GB OCZ Vertex, Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS M1330, 2.4 GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Quad Boot: XP Pro x64, Vista x64 Ultimate, Ubuntu, Media Direct

Mini 9, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB, BT, 1.3MP Webcam, 32 GB Runcore, Windows 7 x86 RTM Ultimate

Mini 10, long gone and good riddance

Mini 10v,  1.6 GHz, 2 GB, Dual Boot XP & Windows 7 x86 RTM Ultimate

• Hello there Tom,

Always when I was trying to access the forum, 'an error occured'. Next to that Dell decided to link my forum name to my Dell account, and that was quite of a pain as well so... After a while I gave up and kinda forget about this threat.

Anyway... Tom, I guess it's too late. I did find the Factory.wim file when I was trying to recover, but it said it couldn't load as there weren't any partitions to install it on. Making new partitions with Vista Installer or OpenSUSE installer for some reason did not work.

After reading my favourite PC magazine I found a problem that might be able to solve my partition issues. It's called GParted. I decided to give it a try. Had to burn it to a CD with a healthy PC, booted my laptop with that CD and it offered me to make new partitions. As a last result - I could not find any other way to restore my system; I tried all your suggestions! - I decided to make new partitions. Somehow, GParted didn't have any problems making them!
    With the Vista DVD that I ordered from the Dell website I reinstalled Windows, after updating all drivers everything ran smoothly! Luckily there wasnt much valuable data on my laptop, so I didn't have to bother recovering deleted data.

I tried all the suggestions you all gave me, but it kept on giving partition errors. I simply could not restore Factory.wim, God knows why.

Thanks for you help all!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
    LucasvdM

• Dag LucasvdM,

Hoe is het? Leuk om jou te ontmoeten.

I realize you have reinstalled Windows and moved on but if you used the Media Direct disk to format the HDD and put your original D:\RECOVERY folders into the new D: partition prior to remounting the Factory.wim image, the only way it would not have worked would be if the HDD was bad.

Anyway, good luck with the new installation.  I think some of the information on here was misleading and hopefully didn't cause you to permanently eradicate files and/or partitions that could easily have been used to restore (albeit through a lengthy process) your system.  It seems like a lot of folks are trigger happy about deleting/reformatting/wiping when in fact that one Factory.wim file along with the Media Direct disk could have put you back in business.  Even if the /Program Files, /sources, /Tools, /Users and /Windows folders from the D:RECOVERY partition were deleted, someone on here could have sent you a copy because those folders are more "generic" and only needed for the proper mounting (and subsequent remounting) of the Factory.wim file.

Goedemorgen

Tom

Tom

XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500 GB, WIndows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS 420, Q6700, 8GB G.Skill 1.9v, OCZ Vertex 30GB x2 (RAID0), Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS M1330, 2.4 GHz, 4GB, 60 GB OCZ Vertex, Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate

XPS M1330, 2.4 GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Quad Boot: XP Pro x64, Vista x64 Ultimate, Ubuntu, Media Direct

Mini 9, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB, BT, 1.3MP Webcam, 32 GB Runcore, Windows 7 x86 RTM Ultimate

Mini 10, long gone and good riddance

Mini 10v,  1.6 GHz, 2 GB, Dual Boot XP & Windows 7 x86 RTM Ultimate

• Tom,

Very well put.  I couldn't have said it better.

Tony

• Please help me tgsmith, I attempted to do a factory restore on my inspiron 1520 on vista. But when I got to the f8 dell logo> the option to do a factory restore was gone and replaced with an option that said unknown on it...what can i do???