Factory Image Restore

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Factory Image Restore

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all,

After LOADS of problems with my harddisk, partitions etcetera I decided to reset my laptop to Factory Settings. When trying so ( Dell Factory Image Restore , System Recovery Options) it gives me a BLANK error.
Please, how to reset to Factory Settings with this error??

Greets,

LucasvdM

All Replies
  • Hello LucasvdM, It would be helpful to know your system model number and the OS installed on the system. On many Dell systems, you access the Dell Recovery Restore by pressing ctrl and the F11 key at the same time immediately when the Dell Logo appears on the screen. You mentioned that you already had partition issues, so it is possible that the partitions needed for the Dell Recovery Restore have been removed or damaged in some way that rendered them unusuable. Try the procedure above and see if you have any success.

• Hi,

I had Windows Vista SP1 installed. I have an Inspirion 1525.

Pressing Ctrl+F11 on the Dell logo doesnt do anything.

My partition issues: I tried to install OpenSUSE, but it couldnt as there -wasnt enough free space- (100 GB Free!). Even after defragmentation it couldnt install. My PC totally crashed when trying to install Acronis Disc Director Suite; Memory Dump. After that I couldnt boot my PC anymore. System Recovery Options doesnt give me any OS to log on to; so it cannot restore anything. Startup Repair runs, but doesnt help as well.

I guess my hard disc is just pretty up, thats why I decided to go back to Factory Default. But even doing that gives an error...

• See this for full instructions:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=447A98F2640CFDCEE040A68F27286A4E&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4

• Hello Again LucasvdM, The Linux distro may have created your issues. The first point I need to make here is that you can only install one OS on any given partition. The Linux distro would try to install with a different file system than Vista. I can see why the ctrl+F11 would not work. There may be another option here though. I would try this. Insert your Vista DVD in the optical drive and boot the system. The optical drive will have to be selected as the first boot drive in the BIOS. Most of the time it is now. If the system boots to the Vista DVD, there is an option to repair Boot issues. You might give this a try. I have done this a few times with success. If this is successful, then remove the Vista DVD and try once again the ctrl+F11 appraoch. If this is successful, you will still loose any data on the system since you received it. Vista may be able to recreate the Master Boot record (MBR) that the Linux distro may have corrupted. If that fails, the only other option I can think of is a complete reinstall of the OS and programs, but you would loose all the data that has been added since you received the system. This would be my final attempt after all others have not been successful however.

• Hi Hansapuppa,

Forum failed so had to type again.

Dell did not provide me any Vista disc, only the recovery partition. Luckily I have one at home...
    I tried the Boot repair with the DVD, but it didnt make any sense.

I guess the only option is to reinstall Vista using the DVD. My question remains: how can I do this in the future when I dont have a disc? As Dell did not provide any.

At the moment I loaded the new Vista installation, but it jams when selecting the partitions. It says it cannot create a partition: 0x8004240f.
    How can I possibly install Windows when nothing can create a partition? Is my HDD up that much?

Thanks for your help =)

• You can request a backup disc from this link below,

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Hello LucasvdM, Sorry to hear your attempt did not work. To get the Vista disk, follow the suggestion of RobinBredin, and that should get the Vista DVD for you. In the mean time, try to install Vista again, but when you get to the point of installing to a drive, look in the lower part of the screen and you will see an option to delete the partition and create a new partition and then format it. I am trying to recall this from my memory so I may not be exactly correct but I am close. Try to delete the C:\ partition and create a new one, and choose to install on the newly created partition, and the install process should continue, I hope. It may be seeing that you have no room for another partition. Vista can only recogonize 4 partitions on a hard drive. Keep us posted.

• Hi, Trying to install Vista. It now shows my partitions. Let me type what I see; this might be a bad translation from Dutch.

Disc 1 - Partition 2 - RECOVERY  10.0 GB
    Disc 1 - Space not assigned 220.1 GB
    Disc 2 - Space not assigned 2.7 GB

When selecting the second and pressing -New- it says: Cannot make a new partition. Error: 0x8004240f.
    It doesnt give me the option to delete any partition.

I know now my partition is (...) big time, but how possibly to solve this issue??

• Hello LucasvdM, This information is what could be expected when encountering the issue you have.

Disc 1 - Partition 2 - RECOVERY  10.0 GB   This is the Dell Recovery Restore partition Should be shown as Partition 3
    Disc 1 - Space not assigned 220.1 GB   This would normally be the C:\ partition Should be shown as Partition 2
    Disc 2 - Space not assigned 2.7 GB   This is the Dell Media partition

The Disc 2 is not normal and should be shown as Disc 1 - Partition 4

There is another Disc 1 - Partion 1 that is a hidden partition that is formatted in FAT16 format.

This shows the Master Boot Record (MBR) to be corrupted. With this much corruption, I doubt if any of the data can be saved. I know the Dell Media partition cannot. At this point, I would try to install Windows XP, if you have access to a disk. At the point in the install where you are asked where to install, after you press F8, choose to delete all of the existing partitions and create a new partition and choose to make it as large as possible. If you are successful to this point, continue and then do a Quick Format in the NTFS format. The hard drive MBR should then be restored. Stop the XP installation by turning the system off. Then insert the Vista DVD and try again. You should wind up with a fresh Vista install and then can install you programs.

• LucasvdM,

You can manually restore your Vista Factory Image.  It's fairly easy to do, but does require some patience, mainly downloading the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) ISO from Microsoft.  WAIK takes a while to download.  It's over 1.3Gb. 

You then install the WAIK on another Vista or Windows XP SP2 machine and copy about 26Mb of files to removable media.  You then boot your machine with a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD, access the files on the removable media and manually restore the Vista Factory Image to your C:\ drive.   This will restore future access to the Factory Image using the F8 key.

If you're interested in restoring your original Factory Image, let us know and I'll give the details on how this can be done.

Tony

• tgsmith

LucasvdM,

You can manually restore your Vista Factory Image.  It's fairly easy to do, but does require some patience, mainly downloading the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) ISO from Microsoft.  WAIK takes a while to download.  It's over 1.3Gb. 

You then install the WAIK on another Vista or Windows XP SP2 machine and copy about 26Mb of files to removable media.  You then boot your machine with a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD, access the files on the removable media and manually restore the Vista Factory Image to your C:\ drive.   This will restore future access to the Factory Image using the F8 key.

If you're interested in restoring your original Factory Image, let us know and I'll give the details on how this can be done.

Tony

that's seriously ELITE, lucas! here's my problem: I wasn't satisfied with vista 32 bit home premium, even though it was running superbly, because 32 bit didn't see and utilize the full 4 gb of corsair dominator ram that i paid some more 850 dollars for. so i went ahead and asked for a 64 bit version of vista home premium, dell sent it to me, and then i installed it myself. unfortunately, during installation i formatted the 921.0 GB partion and then elected to install 64 bit on it while keeping the 10 GB recovery partition intact, assuming that i would be able to get back to 32 bit anytime i wanted to by pressing f12 and choosing recovery, not knowing that if i format the 921 GB partition, i will lose the option even though the 10 gb partion with the recovery files will still be there.

so, long story short, i now have 64 bit vista on that 921 GB partition, 32 bit vista with dell's factory settings on that 10 GB partition, and no option to choose 'dell's factory image' when i press f12 during boot up.

so, therefore, i solemnly pray and hope you would be kind enough to share the knowledge with others. I have combed google like crazy and came up with some hardcore DOS-based solution, that, i think, will make matters worse. i have an idea that your procedure is a fail-safe one and more easier to follow. will be looking for your reply.

edit: oh and by the way:

1) blank dvds? check

2) dvd rw drive? check

3) another computer with windows vista 32 bit home premium? check

4) high-speed internet to download those files? check

5) removable media? check (wd passport 250 GB USB)

6) patience and time? check and set

just for your information

XPS 730, Intel Qx9770 3.8 GHZ OCed, 4 GB Corsair Dominator 1333 mhz

Dual nVIDIA GTX 280 1024 MB GDDR3 on each card

H2C Liquid Cooling, Dual dvd/rw drives, 1 Terabyte SATA 2.0 HDD

Dell 30 inch Widescreen Ultrasharp Max Resolution 2560X1600

Win Vista 64 bit Home Premium

Win Vista 32 bit Home Premium

4 Years of Extended warranty and 4 years of Accidental damage care service

• Hi Hanspuppa, tgsmith, ArmandStranger, thanks a lot for all your replies.

I'm not home for the next two days, so won't be able to check any of your solutions.

I have an XP disc at home, so I can try Hanspuppa's solution. Also I have a fast internet connection so if that will not work I can try gsmith's.
    ArmandStranger, I'm not exactly sure what you mean? =)

Greets,
    LucasvdM

• Hello ArmandStanger, If you formatted your drive and installed Vista x64, there is no way to go back and utilize the 10GB Dell Recovery Restore image. The MBR would have been changed. It is only taking up disk space and I would suggest removing it. As others have mentioned, due to the many Windows updates and all the other added programs, this Dell Recovery Restore will be outdated very soon anyway. I ran into this very issue before. Since this partition is visable (not hidden), I deleted it and then merged it to my 1 Terabyte drive which yeilded about 935 GBs total, due to the usual format scheme. I did this all from within Vista in the Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage\Disk Management. There is also a hidden partition listed as Partition 1, which is approximately 45-50 MBs, that I removed also, using diskpart.exe that I downloaed from Microsoft, but it is a little difficult to accomplish, especially if you are not familuar with DOS commands, so unless you really need that little space on such a large drive, I would not go through the trouble. Hope this helps.

• LucasdvM and ArmandStanger,

Ok.  Here's how to reinstall your Factory Image manually as long as the Factory Image partition is intact.

First, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

Download the Windows Automated Installation Kit.  Burn the WAIK ISO image to a DVD using Roxio, Nero or whatever DVD burning software you have that can burn ISO images

Now, insert the DVD in a computer running Vista or  Windows XP SP2 system with KB926044.  Install the WAIK.

Navigate to the Program Files folder where WAIK was installed.  Find the Tools subdirectory.  Under it you will see four folders: AMD64, IA64, SERVICING, and X86.  Copy these folders to a USB drive.  They total less than 100Mb, so you can use a 128Mb USB flash drive if need be.

If you have installed Vista on the C:\ drive, then you can simply boot up your system.  Locate the file name factory.wim on the Factory Image partition. Make a note of the drive letter and path to that file.  On an Inspiron 1720 it is located in D:\Dell\Image\Factory.wim

On eMachines and Gateway computers the file is found in the Recovery partition under Preload\boot.wim

Now go to the command prompt by typing CMD in the Run box.  If Vista is not installed on the C:\ drive you can boot the system with a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD for Windows and shell to the command prompt.  Navigate to the Tools\x86\ folder on your USB flash drive.

Type the following command: imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

Your system should be restored to its original "as-shipped" configuration in about 30-45 minutes.

Note that this restores Dell's Proprietary Master Boot Record so that in the future will be able to access the Factory Image by pressing F8 while booting up. 

Let us know if you run into any problems.

Tony

• holy cow! totally leet. I'm gonna print it out right now. but the only reason i will go back to 32 bit from 64 bit is because 64 bit is crashing constantly. it would freeze sometimes during games, but in the past two days, it crashed only when 1)utorrent was open and downloading files onto my PC's HDD 2) utorrent was downloading files onto my USB Wester digital passport 250 GB HDD

pc has been factory overclocked from 3.2 ghz to 3.8 ghz and RAM 1333 mhz to 1600 mhz. crashes occured when it was overclocked. at 4 pm today, i loaded up BIOS factory defaults and thus got rid of all overclocking stuff, and since then it's been running even with utorrent online and downloading stuff onto PC's HDD. if vista 64 bit still crashes, i will just give up, call it a day and go back to dell's 32 bit using your procedures.

didn't know vista 64 bit would be such a pain.

XPS 730, Intel Qx9770 3.8 GHZ OCed, 4 GB Corsair Dominator 1333 mhz

Dual nVIDIA GTX 280 1024 MB GDDR3 on each card

H2C Liquid Cooling, Dual dvd/rw drives, 1 Terabyte SATA 2.0 HDD

Dell 30 inch Widescreen Ultrasharp Max Resolution 2560X1600

Win Vista 64 bit Home Premium

Win Vista 32 bit Home Premium

4 Years of Extended warranty and 4 years of Accidental damage care service