Windows Media DRM corrupt, Computer doesn't recognize new Hardware, Windows updates don't install.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows Media DRM corrupt, Computer doesn't recognize new Hardware, Windows updates don't install.

• I have a Dimensions 4500 running XP Pro.  I noticed recently that I could not get a new printer to be recognized by my computer and every time I turn it on I get the found new hardware wizard.  I cancel it out and the printer works fine!  I purchased a sandisk Fuze (2gig) MP3 player, downloaded Rhapsody, their version of WMP, and it takes about 2 minutes to load, then it comes up with "Windows Media DRM corrupt".  I cannot get WMP 11 to reload even after removing it.  On top of this I am realizing that none of the windows updates will install.  The computer keeps trying to install them but they don't finish.  I think I am seeing a patteren, but I don't know what it is.
  • Since you did a re-install, did you install these drivers from here, in this order?

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
    Chipset or SMBus driver
    Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card

Validate your version of Windows again from here.

Now Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for your reply.  You mentioned a re-install, I assume of the Windows Media Player 11.  Actually I never got it to re-install. 

I may not be knowledgable enuf to follow your instructions.  I went to the driver location you gave me.  I assumed you ment drivers for the Desktop System Software, Chipset or SMBus Driver, etc.  I looked thru all the various drivers and the only one that looked half way close was the chipset driver. 

I did validate my version of windows and re-register the windows update dll in cmd. 

Still now joy in running the windows update.

• The Windows Media Player is in the Windows updates.

I would backup all my files and folders and burn them to a disk.

Insert the Operating System disk.

Restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. It should make the operating system go back to the way it was when you purchased it. Takes about 40 minutes, pending on the system. It should hopefully keep your files and folders intact but, that's why we had you make a backup copy, just in case.

You may have to Validate once again, re-register the dlls and you will definately have to get all the Windows Updates again. I usually take the recommended ones as well.

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Thanks, I think this is the way to go .  I am presently doing a back up, and then will go thru the repair.  Do you know how I can look up what the Product Key is.  I have my XP Pro disk, with the product Key secured to the disk case.  I'm sure it goes with this computer but I am not certain.  As Long as I have the SP Pro disk and the key that goes with it shouldn't be a problem,  Right!

Thanks again for your help. 

• Download Belarc Advisor. It will give you all the key numbers that are presently on the computer. If you can, I'd print this page for future references. If not, write everything down.

#DellRockStar