0x50 stop error problems. can anyone help?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

0x50 stop error problems. can anyone help?

• Hi,
    our pc is crashing a couple of times a week fairly randomly. I get the blue screen of death with the following error:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
    STOP: 0X00000050 (0XBAD0B148,0X00000000,0X805B9E11,0X000000002)

It's been happening almost as long as we've had this fairly new dell pc. (details below)
    We've hardly installed anything. (printer driver for our epson, which we removed- didn't solve the problem, also avast antivirus, zonealarm and adaware, which I haven't removed for security..)
    When I report the problem via the microsoft error log pop up thing, their diagnosis is a device driver. The problem often occurs when viewing video or DVD, so I guessed maybe the video driver. I removed it and reinstalled the most up to date driver. Still have the problem. We also did a system restore to before the problem occured. It came back almost right away. Also ran a system memory check, no faults found.

The main reason for posting this is in the hope that someone out there has the same error code (ie same parameters) and finds this in a search. I've found other people who have the bad0b148 parameter, which is the invalid memory address being referenced, but no pages in english! If anyone has this parameter please email me or add to this post. I think it's a software issue and someone else with the same problem and same software may diagnose the fault. Otherwise I think I'm going to have to do a complete fresh install of XP.

Has anyone got any other suggestions??

Thanks for any help!

Our System:
    Dimension 8400 Desktop, P4 3.00GHz processor (HT)
    1024MB RAM, 160GB HD, DVD/CD RW Drive, Radeon X300SE Graphics Card, Built-in sound, 17" Flat Screen Monitor.

Software:
    Windows XP Home SP2, Windows Media Player 10.
    ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall, Avast Antivirus, Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Message Edited by Andyisme on 10-24-2005 11:21 AM

• Andyisme wrote:
     Also ran a system memory check, no faults found.

...also avast antivirus, zonealarm and adaware, which I haven't removed for security..

Has anyone got any other suggestions??

"...ran a system memory check" using what?  If it wasn't the Dell Diagnostics (details are in your system documentation), Dell probably won't give you the time of day, as far as warranty support goes.

"also ...zonealarm..., which I haven't removed for security.."  Why did you install it to begin with, being as how Windows XP has a perfectly good firewall built in that causes far fewer problems for the majority of users?  Don't get me wrong - ZA was fine for Win9x users on broadband connections, but it's completely unnecessary (and annoyingly troublesome) for Windows XP systems, and there's more than enough documentation to support this.  Why make things harder on yourself than you have to, by installing applications with recognized problems under your operating conditions? 

• Hi,

thanks for response.

Yes I used the Dell Diagnostics to run the memory check.

Reason I installed ZA was to give more control over programs accessing the web as everything now wants to access the web often unnecessarily. I wasn't aware of problems with ZA.

However, I will probably uninstall ZA and return to just windows firewall for a while and see if that helps.

• Here's link to MS site for that error:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ccgm.asp

If it happens during DVD playback, it could be the driver for DVD drive or for the audio card that's the problem. So try reinstalling those.

If you haven't installed much on the system, you could use the Dell/Symantec PC Restore partition on the HD to take the system back to the way it was shipped from the factory. You will have to back up all your personal files to CD or DVD first, and then reinstall all the XP updates and hotfixes and any additional software again after the PC Restore.

I use the free ZoneAlarm on my 8400 without any issues. The problem with the XP firewall is that it doesn't tell you about outgoing attempts to access the net. So if some trojan manages to infect your machine, you won't know when it tries to 'dial home'. MS keeps claiming their next firewall version will have both incoming and outgoing detection, but who wants to wait that long?

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• RoHe wrote:
    So if some trojan manages to infect your machine...

...Which, on any properly configured (i.e., default settings...no brain surgery or rocket science here, folks), virus protected, Windows XP-built-in-firewall enabled system I've seen, in an incalculable multitude of environments, has yet to occur...

• That presumes the user installs all the latest hotfixes and updates from Microsoft, and that they do so before someone exploits one of the many holes to sneak something onto the system.

Either way, ZoneAlarm is unlikely to be the cause of the problem here so removing it and activating the Windows firewall won't fix the 0x50 stop errors. I'm betting it's either the audio or DVD driver.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• thanks for suggestions- never thought of the audio driver. don't think it's the dvd driver as happens when dvd/cd not being used but have now removed & installed both audio and dvd drivers and will see if that fixes it.

Message Edited by Andyisme on 10-25-2005 10:16 AM

• Have now removed ZoneAlarm, inlcuding manually removing the TrueVector files and drivers and editing the registry.

Since then the pc has stopped crashing.

ZoneAlarm was the culprit!
  • Glad you fixed the problem. Could have been a faulty download or install of ZA. Hope you're running some other firewall now.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• thanks, yes I've just turned on the windows one.

I liked ZA protecting outgoing too, but it's not worth the hastle. I also tried reinstalling ZA and that didn't help. Totally removing it solved the problem.

thanks for your help.