unable to access to the cmos table on R820

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

unable to access to the cmos table on R820

This question is not answered

Hello everybody

I'm trying to access to the BIOS settings from a linux debian operating system with smbios. Everything works well on Dell R610 and R810 servers but not on R820... Please, note that all the servers have been installed with exactly the same operatings systems and packages (from the same ISO) :

on Rx10 :

# isCmosTokenActive 0x00d2

Running...
DMI type 0xd4  Handle 0xd403  Index Port 0x72  Data Port 0x73  Type 0x00d2  Location 0x46 AND(fe) OR(1)  BITFIELD: 1

# dumpCmos
Dump of all Dell-specific CMOS Tokens from table 0xD4:
DMI type 0xd4  Handle 0xd400  Index Port 0x70  Data Port 0x71  Type 0x0042  Location 0x11 AND(fe) OR(1)  BITFIELD: 1
DMI type 0xd4  Handle 0xd400  Index Port 0x70  Data Port 0x71  Type 0x0043  Location 0x11 AND(fe) OR(0)  BITFIELD: 0
DMI type 0xd4  Handle 0xd400  Index Port 0x70  Data Port 0x71  Type 0x0000  Location 0x11 AND(9f) OR(20)  BITFIELD: 1
... (lots of lines displayed)

# getSystemId
Libsmbios:    2.0.3
System ID:    0x02D4
Service Tag:  ******
Express Service Code: ******
Product Name: PowerEdge R810
BIOS Version: 2.5.0
Vendor:       Dell Inc.
Is Dell:      1

on R820 :

# isCmosTokenActive 0x00d2
Running...
tried to dereference non-existent token

# dumpCmos
Dump of all Dell-specific CMOS Tokens from table 0xD4:

# (==> returns no line )

# getSystemId
Libsmbios:    2.0.3
System ID:    0x04FE
Service Tag:  ******
Express Service Code: ******
Product Name: PowerEdge R820
BIOS Version: 1.1.5
Vendor:       Dell Inc.
Is Dell:      1

Does anybody knows how to get the CMOS table with the Rx20 servers ? or maybe that also can be a BIOS setting that I missed ?

Thanks a lott !

best regards

Julien

All Replies
  • Hi Julien,

There were a number of changes to the 12G (T or R x20) systems including the removal of RBU support, though I haven't been able to find anything about CMOS tokens specifically. If you are in UEFI mode you might try BIOS mode though you would not be able to boot operating systems from disks installed in UEFI mode i.e. you would either have to test this with a live CD or install an OS in BIOS mode. For checking or changing many BIOS settings we have OpenManage (see page 117 of the OMSA command line reference: support.dell.com/.../CLIUG.pdf ), which should probably work with Debian using the Debian OMSA repository from linux.dell.com/.../latest . Is there anything in particular you're looking for in the CMOS tokens? Have you looked at dmidecode?

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi Jonathan

Thank you for your answer, I confirm that I'm in BIOS mode and unfortunately I can't install OpenManage on my server (it would take too much time to explain why...)

I've had a look at dmidecode but I will need to read and write a BIOS setting, and dmidecode only reads data if I'm not wrong ?.... But maybe you are right, dmidecode could help me to identify the address of the parameter and I could change it with "activateCmosToken" for example ?

The parameter that I'd like to read and write is the HyperThreading (DELL setting "Logical Processor" in the BIOS menu)

I can find if in handle 0xd403 on the Rx10 servers :

dumpCmos | grep 00d2

DMI type 0xd4  Handle 0xd403  Index Port 0x72  Data Port 0x73  Type 0x00d2  Location 0x46 AND(fe) OR(1)  BITFIELD: 1

dmidecode -u | grep "0xD403"

Handle 0xD403, DMI type 212, 197 bytes

but this handle is not present anymore on my 12G systems :

dmidecode -u | grep "0xD403"

returns nothing...

• Unfortunately Julien I can't find any other way to access the BIOS settings other than OpenManage. I'm not sure if it matters at all but it is possible to install only a minimal, non-networked subset of OpenManage components to enable the BIOS configuration changes. That would be just the srvadmin-base package from the Debian OMSA link above. Otherwise I'm not sure what else can be done.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)