Is it possible to use SDHC Card (>2G) in Dell Internal Dual SD Module (IDSDM)

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Is it possible to use SDHC Card (>2G) in Dell Internal Dual SD Module (IDSDM)

This question is not answered

Hi,

I can't manage to find the answer to this simple question.

Can I use SDHC Card (high capacity, >2GB) in the Dell Internal Dual SD Module (in M420 or M610x for instance).

The goal is to be able to use more than 2G card to install redundant hypervisor image.

I'm asking this because apparently SD Card reader are not always compatible with SDHC Cards.

Regards

All Replies
  • Rdegez,

The m420 is a little more forgiving than the 610 will be. Meaning, it will allow you to use a broader range of sd cards.

It will allow you to use >2gb SD cards though

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Thanks for the info, this is a start :-)

Could you be a bit more specific ? do you know if I can put in "SDHC" cards (== SD 2.0 standard according to en.wikipedia.org/.../Secure_Digital) ? like 16GB or 32GB ?

And can I safely use the redundancy feature provided by DIDSM with them ?

There is absolutely no such information in the technical guides of the M420 (or any other type of powerconnect server)

Regards,

• I wouldn't recommend running Windows off of an SD card as the performance will be dismal (a "fast" SD card may have a read speed of 25MB/s and a write speed of 10-15MB/s. The IOPS will also be very low.

VMware's ESXi only need 1 GB.

What are you wanting to run off of an SD card that needs that much disk space?

Member since 2003

• "tell me what you need and i will tell you how to live without it" :-)

You are not answering my question.

For the record I am not running windows nor ESXi.

My question remains : can I put SDHC cards (>2GB) in M420 blades.

Regards

• Yes sir, you shouldn't have issues with using a SDHC that is larger than 2gb in the M420.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)