I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server. It was working fine but yesterday I restarted it and now it giving me RN50 A21 BIOS message on the screen and the system is not booting up.
What is RN50 A21 BIOS message means.
Any help will be much appreciated.
From the information I have, it would appear that the system is accessing the video chipset that is onboard the motherboard, however it is not continuing the POST process. If it's okay, I'd like to ask you some questions about the error if that is okay.
** Please note that some of these steps will involve removing components from the server. Before doing this, please remove all power cords from the back of the server. Should you need any help removing components, please see the service manual here: support.dell.com/.../hom.pdf **
1) Please check the LCD panel on the front of the server if you are able to. This may give you an error code (for example, E1A10). Can you give me the error code if possible?
2) Please reset the BIOS using the motherboard jumpers. To do this, please see page 136 of the service manual. Once you have done this, please switch the server on. Has this resolved the problem?
3) If step 2 does not resolve the problem and if you feel comfortable doing so, please remove components to bring the server to the minimum configuration needed to POST. To do this, you need to remove all components EXCEPT:
a) System boardb) Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1c) Two sticks of memory in memory slots 1 and 2d) 1 power supplye) Control panelf) Sideplaneg) Both PCI risers; PCI-e in center slot, (PCI-e or PCI-X) in left slot.
Switch the server on once you have done this - does the server pass the RN50 A21 BIOS error?
4) If you still have the same problem after trying step 3 and if your server has 2 processors, please try swapping processors to see if this is a processor problem. Check the LCD panel on the front of the server for any error codes after doing this.
5) Lastly, if swapping processors has not identified a problem with a specific processor, please try each individual memory module in slot 1 only. This will test if there is a problem with a specific memory module. Check the LCD panel on the front of the server for any error codes while doing this.
If you can let us know how you get on, it would be a great help. Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon.
John CDell | Social Outreach Services
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)
Thanks for the reply.
I tried everything you explained, unfortuntely nothing worked.
Checked the LCD Panel no error just PowerEdge 2950 message.
The system just sits at RN50 A21 BIOS.
Any other suggestions?
If you have removed all the components from the server except the components that are required for the system to POST and also tried each individual stick of memory in the server and you are still receiving the same issue, then it would appear that the graphics chipset on the motherboard has developed a fault.
If your server is still under warranty, I would advise you to contact your local Dell Technical Support team as they would be able to organise a repair of the server.
Thanks for all your help, John.
After hours of investigation I found that the motherboard was stuffed so bought a new server now.
Appreciate all your help.
Yeah, everything you were trying seemed to indicate a motherboard fault so I was sorry to be the bearer of bad news! However, you were more than welcome and if there's anything we can do to help in the future, please let us know.