PE830 stops during bootup and waits for F1

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

PE830 stops during bootup and waits for F1

This question is answered

Hi all,

An client's PE830 has a boot problem. It's been working fine since its install in '05 but now doesn't want to boot up without a keystrike from a user. Which is a pain, as you can imagine. This has been going on for some months but they've just now asked me to fix it.

Specifically, during the boot process, it stops and displays:

"Press <Ctrl-E> for BMS Setup within 5 sec.....
 Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup"

Obviously the BMS Setup line is normal, so it's stopping at the end of the boot process.
I think this is telling me there's been an error or change during boot, but I can't find it. Here's a photo of the screen.
I've found another post in the community saying that there's an option in BIOS I can toggle, (Stop on error) but I've looked all over the BIOS and I can't find it.
Also, if it's telling there's an error, I should try and find it rather than ignore it, I would think.

No obvious error messages either on that screen or earlier boot screens. No changes, no Windows crashes. Am somewhat foxed.

Any help gratefully received,

Will

Verified Answer
  • Will,

The F1 F2 prompt is generally from something in the BIOS is enabled, but not present in the server. Or, it is a device that is installed that isn't enabled in the BIOS.

I am not sure the configuration of your server so I will give you a couple things to look for.

Open the server and verify if you have anything on the SATA ports, then verify if there is a SATA port on, with nothing attached or vice versa.

Let me know what you find.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • Will,

The F1 F2 prompt is generally from something in the BIOS is enabled, but not present in the server. Or, it is a device that is installed that isn't enabled in the BIOS.

I am not sure the configuration of your server so I will give you a couple things to look for.

Open the server and verify if you have anything on the SATA ports, then verify if there is a SATA port on, with nothing attached or vice versa.

Let me know what you find.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Thanks Chris. Was an unknown IDE device, fixed it immediately.