Poweredge 830 fan noise solved

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Poweredge 830 fan noise solved

This question is not answered

I've had a Poweredge 830 tower server sitting idle in my spare room for a couple of years.  I used it for a while as my main downloading machine but when I picked up an SC440 and compared fan noise the 830 went in the cupboard.

The other day when fiddling with reducing the fan noise on a Precision 370 using an OEM PWM fan with this adaptor cable http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8469/cab-152/FrozenCPUcom_4-Pin_PWM_to_5-Pin_Dell_Adapter_Cable_-_8_Length_CB-PWM-D5.html?id=nqMXvpT4 I wondered if I could do something similar with the 830 (my SC440 was sold for purchase price one year after I bought it - bargain!).

Cut a long story short I picked up a low-noise 120mm PWM fan, attached the adaptor cable above to the standard PWM 4-pin plug and then removed the cables fan's 5-pin plug and inserted the wires into the existing DELL fan's 4-PIN PWM plug.  Works just fine.  I don't know if the adaptor cable is strictly necessary - but the metalic ends on the new OEM fan were not the same design as those on the factory-shipped DELL fan and I didn't want to do any bending or clipping.

Anyhow - noise levels are fantastic - even at boot up.  This machine could sit in a quiet office and not bother anyone.  I've got a nice download work-horse again just in time for all the BBC Christmas specials.  I should add that I'm only using this for light-use and storing non-critical data.  I guess there was a good reason DELL installed such a monster fan in the 830 - or at least I hope there was.

Wonder if an 830 likes Windows 7?  I'll report back.

--

All Replies
  • I too have a PowerEdge 830 that has a fan spinning up and running on high with the slightest usage of the CPU.
    I just determined that one of the hold-downs for the CPU heatsink had broken off. So while the heatsink was there, it was not fully seated on the CPU.
    I used a bread tie-wrap to wire down the 2nd lever, and now all is well with the fan (not) roaring.